« Introductions | Main | HIPAA »

Gardasil....One Less?

As you all probably know the new HPV vaccine is out and there is serious debate as to if girls should be given the vaccine, when and what should they be told...what does your group (coming from the perspective of your various fields) think?

We think because the long term effects of gardasil are unknown, the shot shouldnt be required for girls. If people want to get the shot, it should be provided. After years of testing, if there are no long term effects, the drug should be suggested to girls to prevent cancer. It would be good to give the shot to sixth graders to catch it before it starts, but we also think that is to young to have sex. By giving the shot to kids in 6th grade that could encourage them to engage in sex earlier.

Coming from the perspective of doctors-to-be, we agree that the Gardasil vaccination is not an incentive for a woman to become sexually active at a young age. The Gardasil shot is simply a precaution taken to prevent the negative effects of HPV and/or cervical cancer. We believe that it should be the combined consensus of the parents and child's discretion to decide when a girl receives this shot, but definitely before she becomes sexually active, and the earlier the better. Ultimately, it is the child's decision when they are ready to become sexually active, but they should speak with their parents and/or significant others prior to engaging in any sexual activity.

We. as nursing students, believe that all girls should be vaccinated. HPV should be a subject covered in beginning sexual education classes as early as fourth grade. It may possibly not be required for all girls but highly recommended to get before or as a girl becomes sexually active. We do believe it could eventually become a required vaccination but we know religion, family beliefs, and other things could be controversal. The HPV vaccination does have side effects and people are not rightfully aware of these. Maybe the shot should also not be required until all or most side effects are under control. As for who is the ultimate decision maker... it would be ideal if the girl getting or not getting the HPV vaccination could decide for herself, but realistically you are a child until you are 18 so the parent is the next ideal decision maker.

We feel that girls should be informed of what HPV is and how it can affect them. Sometime between 12 and 16 years old the child may or may not be sexually active, but it is good to let them know of the affects early so they can prevent any diseased activity. They should be told the positive and negative sides and depending on how old they are; maturity plays a crucial role. After being told they should be given the option whether or not to accept the procedure. This topic should be brought up in both school and in the home while staying unbiased. It also should be a free vaccination.

I agree with group 4-Nursing. I believe that the girl getting the shot be the final decision maker. Also, I agree when it comes to informing girls at an early age. However, I don't agree with making this shot a required shot. If the girl does not want to get the shot for various reasons, then she shouldn't have to regardless of her religion or beliefs. I also agree with you guys when you say that all the "kinks" in this shot have to be worked out. This is still a very unknown thing and we should know all sides of it before giving it out to healthy adolescent females. However, if the female is sexually active I do think that the shot is a good idea as long as she knows the pros and cons to the shot. Overall, I think that this shot could be extremely beneficial when it comes to preventing HPV. I just think that right now it is too new of a vaccination to make it required of all girls.

I agree with Dental Group-4. The HPV vaccination should not be considered an alternative route for women to become sexually active at a young age. The Gardasil shot should only be given to girls at a young age to prevent further precautions as they get older. I believe the shot is just a safeguard to help prevent women from getting HPV and/or cervical cancer. It does not mean that the girl will become infected if she does not receive the vaccination. I also believe it should be a choice made by parents and their children as to whether it is a necessary vaccination. If the parents so do choose to follow through with the vaccination, it should be before the child becomes sexually active. By the time most parents have the “sex talk? with their children, more times than not, it is before they become sexually active. That would also be a pristine time to bring up the topic of the Gardasil shot. The Gardasil shot is also a new phenomenon and should become more trusted before people start considering it a necessary measure. I completely agree with this group because the Gardasil shot should be considered an option instead of a necessity.

In response to Pre-Med 2's comment, I definately agree. Getting informed about HPV should definately happen. Seeing as HPV is the most common Sexually Tansmitted infection (STI) it is important to spread knowledge and awareness. Even though it is so common, most infected are not even aware of it-SCARY!!. With that being said, awareness should be begin to brought up at home and school, with the unbiased opinion so that they are comfortable to ask for it or know that personally they are not ready for it. I just started my vaccine before I left for college. My doctor explained how more and more girls are getting it early on and how it is a "good thing." She even said a 9 year old girl began hers a week previous to mine. That shocked me considering I had no knowledge of the vaccine until THAT day. I was hesitant at first to even start.Not only because of the risky side effects but I pledged myself absitnant, but with encouragement from my mother and doctor to "just be on the safe side" I went through with it. So we shall see... I also agree with the statment Pre-Med 2 made about "maturity playing a role." Some girls in the 6th grade are not ready for such intense subjects as "sex" and "STI(D)'s," but for some these topics are never available to be explored for them. Overall, the shot should be a personal choice, yet free and brought up right at the time of their puberty chat.

I personally think this whole debate could go either way... Girls should be informed about the vaccination because it will prevent cancer. It can greatly benefit their lives! That is what should be told to girls getting the shot not "Hey, you have to get this shot so you don't get cancer, and now that you have it you might as well start having sex." I really don't think children will be encouraged by any means to have sex because of the shot. If there was a shot to prevent AIDS or herpes or getting pregnant before the age of 20 on the other hand these girls may listen in a little more. Girls should be required to get the shot if it does not go against any beliefs. They should be required to possibly save their lives, not be able to engage in sex as early as 9. See ya in class!

I agree with the Pre-Med group 1 for many reasons. First of all, i also believe that getting the HPV vaccination will not increase sexual activity in women. There are so many STDs and STIs, being protected from one probably won't have an effect on a womans sexual activity.I also agree with their idea that the Gardasil should be administered before the girl become sexually active, and it should be a combined choice between the parent and child. The age may vary greatly depending on how comfortable the parent is talking to their child about sex, and whether or not the child is mature enough to comprehend the information. I hope one day the HPV vaccine becomes required because then it wouldn't be as much of an isse. Also, hopefully one day HPV can be wiped out altogether with the vaccine.

As a response to the pre med group 2, I agree that girls should be informed about the HPV with any information that is out there. They should hear both sides of the issue so they can make a educated decision with their parent. I don’t believe that all girls should be required to take a drug that has to long term effects figured out yet. In years to come I think they should suggest that girls get the shot but should not require it for everyone. Also I think if they choose to require the shot for all girls, they should make it very easy to do and not make people pay for it. Also since this type of cancer is only caused by sexual intercourse, if girls hold off on that till they get older they don’t even need the shot right away. In conclusion, I think it should be up to the girl and her parents if she should get the shot.

Although our group strongly recommends the Gardasil shot, we are all in agreement in saying that it should not be a mandatory shot. The first reason being because the long term effects of this vaccine are unknown. It seems ludicrous to mandate something that hasn't even been on the market long enough to be backed up by extensive research. On the contrary, for the females that wish to get Gardasil, it should be made available to them at a much more reasonable cost than it is at now. Because HPV is contracted only through sexual intercourse, on top of those who wish to get the shot, it might make more sense as of now to mandate more distinct sexual ed classes starting in sixth grade. We feel that these young girls should be educated about sex and the things that come with it because some could/would argue that giving them a shot that will "protect" them from HPV could cause them to engage in irresponsible sex down the line. Also, at the young age of sixth grade and the few years thereafter, we believe the choice to get this shot should be a family decision, and it might quite possibly be against some familys' morals. With all that said, we believe that this is more than likely a very safe vaccine, but we just do not believe it would be right to mandate it.

I agree with the Pre-Med group 1 for many reasons. First of all, i also
believe that getting the HPV vaccination will not increase sexual activity
in women. There are so many STDs and STIs, being protected from one
probably won't have an effect on a womans sexual activity.I also agree with
their idea that the Gardasil should be administered before the girl become
sexually active, and it should be a combined choice between the parent and
child. The age may vary greatly depending on how comfortable the parent is
talking to their child about sex, and whether or not the child is mature
enough to comprehend the information. I hope one day the HPV vaccine
becomes required because then it wouldn't be as much of an isse. Also,
hopefully one day HPV can be wiped out altogether with the vaccine.

I definitely agree with the nursing group 4. Education at an early age is key. If girls are aware of what is going on at a young age then hopefully it will prevent them from having sex at an early age. Of course the content would have to be suitable for a 4th grader so they could understand. The brain is like a sponge when your young so why not educate then. I do, however, believe that all side effects of the vaccine should be known before it becomes required. Especially if the side effects are different for younger girls. After hearing about a couple of deaths possibly related to Gardasil, I think it's crucial that we figure out what happened before we stress this vaccine to younger girls.

I agree strongly with group 4- nurses. Their first statement of having girls in fourth grade being educated about HPV sounds a little hard to do. Will fourth grade girls really understand? That's my only disagreement with their statement, unless they could find a successful way to introduce them to the idea at that age; I would be all for it. I strongly agree with their statement about having the vaccine mandatory in the future with some exceptions. I believe, also, that once the vaccine has no more side affects or at least minimal side affects, then it should become manditory.

I agree with the first respone. To make the requirement for girls to take Gardisil when the long-term effects are not unknown is absurd. Tests must strongly continue if the vaccine ever wants to be required. I believe it will raise up a lot of questions to young teenage girls if they do get it and don't completely understand the significance of it. They may be more sexually active which is a negative, but at least they'll be a lot safer in the long run. The advances that we're making in the medical field today are way ahead of their time. I'm sure that in the future years researchers will find a cure for HPV. It's just a matter of time until the right kind of thinking comes along and saves millions of people's lives. As for now, all girls can do is try to stay sexually safe and make smart decisions. See you all in class.

I agree with the doctors-to-be and not because I am in the group, but because it is exactly the point of the vaccination. The Gardasil vaccination is not allowing young girls to have sex at an early age. The vaccination does not prevent people from attaining the AIDS virus nor does it prevent any of the hundreds of STDs. The girl should receive the shot at the earliest age possible to prevent her for her later years. With the vaccination the girl can feel protected from the virus, but should not feel it is a free for all (sex). It should be the child’s decision if she is older than eighteen, but if younger the parents can agree for the vaccination to be given. The child can have input, but because the child cannot make her own medical decisions by law, the parents can guide her decision. I have had the shot and it was my doctor who educated me on subject. I agreed, but my mother had to sign a form. I guess it just depends on the family’s wishes.

I see valid points in all of the group responses, but have a few specific comments to some. First of all, I strongly disagree that if a young girl received the shot she would go out and start having unprotected, irresponsible sexual relations. Some of you said, young girls may not be able to comprehend HPV and how it is contracted. If they are unaware of the ways in which HPV is spread then the Gardasil shot would not encourage sex. I think it is a good idea to educate young people during doctor visits about HPV so that they were given accurate information. (I think discussing this at school too young can get controversial) The next step would be to offer the shot to the girls, and their parents. Even if HPV was not clearly understood by the young people, it could be reiterated that it is a vaccine to keep them healthy. I don't think it should be mandatory but just recommended like many of the shots we got as children.

Group 4 -

I completely agree with what you say. The range of that age is the primary target of this vaccination, I believe, because that is the time when most kids begin to experiment, "fall in love" and such and such. Telling them about the effects of HPV, in my opinion, should be made out to be terrible. I think it should be a little creative if not exaggerated, because quite frankly, NOT getting the shot is far worse than what getting the shot will bring you.

I think the nursing table made a very good argument for the gardasil vaccine. I think all girls should be vaccinated, or at least have the option to be vaccinated and be strongly encouraged by their female role models to do so. Although the vaccine is very controversial due to its potential health risks right now, the costs and benefits must be weighed. Like any other new vaccine, all of the quirks have not yet been worked out. But in order to do so, it must be tested. I personally have had the gardasil vaccination because I have had someone close to me with cervical cancer. I have chosen to protect myself, even if the vaccine isn't 100% approved (although it is FDA approved!) As for the conflict with parents that the vaccine may make their daughters feel more able to become sexually active, I think it should be viewed as purely a beneficial vaccine. When a pre-teen gets the flu shot, that doesn't mean they are going to go around and seek out people with the flu..? Anyway, I am pro-Gardasil.

I totally agree with pre-med group 2. The Grardasil shot is highly controversial, but it should be left up to the individual taking it and her parents. Girls should be at least informed of this vaccination to know the background iformation of it. They should also be informed of HPV and cervical cancer. While explaining to these young girls about the Gardasil vaccination I do believe the people giving information should be unbiased to the situation. In my opinion, I think girls should have the vaccination at their own choice with the help of their parents. I don't know much about it, but with the little information I have I am also pro- Gardasil.

I personally agree with the nursing group. I believe that as many girls as possible should be vaccinated, and as soon in their lives as possible. We mandate other shots, why should this one be any different? The parent does not have to tell the child what the shot is for if he or she does not want to, but when we have an opportunity to start eradicating a disease like we have done with polio, I believe that these sorts of measures are necessary. I do understand that many people believe that this will inspire young people to be more sexually active, but I don't think it will have near the same effect that the birth control pill did in the 1960's. Even if it did, who is to say the world would be a worse place? The sexual revolution of the Sixties is seen by most as a progressive event. I am not saying I think a similar event could happen, but some of the vaccine’s harshest critics are saying exactly that. Personally, I think that we as a people are becoming more resistant to new things and changing our current ways, even when clear advances in technology like this are happening all around us.

I strongly agree with the nursing group. I think it is very important to have sex education at a young age but i think fourth grade may be a little to soon. Im not sure how the maturity level will be for fourth graders and I do not believe they will pay much attention or understand what they are being educated about. I dont agree with having the vaccination required for all girls but I do think it should be recommended. We can not force the vaccine upon all girls as there will be religous and family beliefs against it but also the cost will be tremendously high. How will the government be able to afford every woman recieve the vaccine? I do like your statement about having the actual girl recipient of the vaccine being able to determine if she would like it or not. I think that every girl and their parents should know all the information about Gardasil before making the decision to get it. It is a very new vaccine and there are side effects that could harm younger women.

In my opinion, the Gardasil vaccination is something that should be discussed between the female recipient and their doctor regardless of their age. Parents should be involved in this decision with young women under the age of 18 (“legal? adulthood), because children may not be capable to make the decision on their own. No one should be forced into receiving the shot if they choose not to gain the benefits of it, or if it conflicts with their personal beliefs. It is a personal choice to be engaged in any type of sexual activity, and I don’t think Gardasil would be the sole reason why someone would choose to start becoming sexually active…it could be a combination of peer pressure, family history, influences from the media, and a million other reasons. I believe that the benefits of this shot outweigh the “negative? effects by helping to protect a female against the most common strains of HPV (which may lead to cervical cancer) and/or genital warts. There have been no proven side effects besides soreness of the injection area, and statistics show the great number of individuals who already carry the HPV virus without knowing it. I think it would be acceptable if this shot was required, just like a flu or hepatitis shot. People choosing to receive the shot should be informed of the pros and cons of the vaccination and engaging in sexual activity, because ideally it would be best for the woman to receive the shot prior to beginning sexual activity to gain the full benefit of the shot.

I agree with the nursing students that although the shot shouldn't be required, it should be highly recommended. There may be many discrepancies about having the shot required such as family values, religion and health issues that could make things complicating. I think girls should start being educated on sex education between the age of twelve and fifteen. This includes the risks of having sex, sexually transmitted diseases and ways to protect yourself, such as receiving the Gardasil vaccine. Although they may be able to prevent certain diseases, it should also be stressed in their education that it doesn’t mean they should become sexually active with the vaccine. Instead, it’s a way to prevent a problem before it happens. The ultimate choice to get the vaccine should be left to the girl and her family depending on their own views and beliefs. I think the vaccine should also be fully covered by insurance or free because it could increase the health of the general public.

Personally i feel that the nursing group hit the nail on the head. While it is not practical to make the vaccination mandatory, it does need to be available for girls when their parents believe that they are ready. There also should be some kind of education on the product through either sex education in school or by the girl's personal doctor. Without such education the use of the drug becomes much easier to understand and use. The education can also help the parents and their child decide if the shot is the right thing for them. Some families may decide that they don't want their daughter to have the shot for reasons other than personal beliefs. For these reasons the shot should be provided, but not mandatory for any age group.

I personally agree with Pre-Med Group 1. I don't think that receiving the Gardasil vaccination will make a young girl become sexually active. I just think it will help prevent HPV and cervical cancer, so therefore it is a good idea to get it as early as possible. This way it can be done before she becomes sexually active. I don't think the vaccine should be necessary though. Whether or not a girl receives the vaccine should be left up to her own and her parents decision. I also believe it is a good idea for a girl to speak with her parents before she becomes sexually active. This way they can make sure that all necessary precautions are made before it's too late. If a girl decides not to speak to her parents about becoming sexually active, I think the parents should confront her and speak to her about it just to be safe.

I also agree with Pre-Med Group 1. I do not think that an effect of getting the HPV vaccine will make girls sexually active, but I do think it will make them more sexually aware and safe as a part of the process of getting the shot. I think that the girl receiving the shot should be old enough to be a part of the decision making process and have a say in what is going into her body, so her parents are not just 'here's a shot that is going to protect you'. This is where a well thought out sexual education course would come in handy that would inform girls about cervical cancer and STI's, protection, etc. I think that once girls are informed about the shot and the implications of what could happen if they do not receive one, they should be vaccinated.

I strongly agree with many of the points stated by Pre-Med Group 1. Getting the Gardasil vaccine is not necessarily an incentive to have sex, but rather a precaution against HPV. With that said, I do believe it would be beneficial to educate those getting this shot that it's not a free ticket to have irresponsible sex, it doesn't protect you from everything. As this group said, the decision to get this vaccine should be made between both the parent and child. Refering back to my group's response, I do not find it fair to mandate Gardasil. With the long term effects unknown and the high cost, it would not be fair to. For those who would like to receieve the shot, though, I think it should be readily available and at a more reasonable price.

I agree with the Pre-Med Group 1. also. I think many parents are worried that letting their daughters get the vaccine because it gives them the incentive to have sex because it is safer. Girls, aren't going to get the shot and then feel like it is perfectly fine to go have sex. Besides, parents won't control when their daughters decide to become sexually active, I would personally want my daughter to be vaccinated so she is protected no matter what. I also agree that the recipient of the vaccine should talk to her guardians and become well educated on what the HPV shot is for and how it will help her. Tell her that she is still at risk for other diseases and pregnancy, etc. Overall I thnk it is necessary for all girls to recieve the vaccination!

I understand and agree that sex education is important and should be administered by both parents and health education classes. Although, the issue here is not whether a student should be given a ‘tell all’ on sex at an early age. It is unrealistic and would become very controversial to expect 4th graders to learn about sex exstensively in school. By this time in their lives they have barely accepted the idea of puberty. 4th graders and even 6th graders cannot be expected to fully understand or make their own decisions on sexual activities or recieving the Gardasil vaccination. It is important for the Gardasil shot to be administered at a young age. At this point the Gardasil shot should be highly recommended to parents and their children should be aware of the shot and HPV. The should not be mandatory until there is more research done and a cost effective way of administering it. Recieving the shot can open doors for young girls to feel comfortable asking their doctors or parents questions about sex. It would also give the doctors and parents an opportunity to explain the purpose of the vaccination and the importance of making responsible decisions regarding sexual activity. This would be a reasonable way of educating children without the intimidiating environment that a 4th grade sex ed. class would create.

I think this topic can go either way as well. I think that it is a good idea to get gardasil, but i don't believe it should be maditory. I strongly believe that it should be recieved be for one goes to college but i believe that making it maditory in 6th grade is a little over kill. Though if it is madated i agree with group 4 that if gardasil is recieved there should be some type of education to go along with it rather than just tell your daughter that it will keep them from getting sick. So i think that it should be up to the parents in the end not the government.

I disagree with group 4-dental. They state that the vaccination should not be given to girls at a younger age because it will influence them to become sexually active earlier like in sixth grade. I completely disagree with this. I do not think that six grade girls receiving the vaccine will all of a sudden think, hey now i can go fool around. In sixth grade, most guys and girls only kiss, granted a few exceptions that I knew of in elementary school. Most people that age wouldn't even really understand what the vaccination is even doing. I don't think that it could really be required for girl's to get the vaccination, but I think that it should be considered. It really only has benefits, preventing the cancer from HPV. I think sixth grade is a little too young, but I think that a girl and her parents should be more informed sometime in junior high about the vaccination.

Well i think that the doctor should let the girls know that it could possible mess them up on having babies... Because it makes so girls stiril So thats not even right..... Thank you