Main | Gardasil....One Less? »

Introductions

As I introduce you to the course I would like all of you to introduce yourselves to your peers. Who are you, where to you come from, why are you here, what do you care about, and if you are a "coke," "soda," or "pop" person are all good ways to start this post. After you post take a look at least five other people's posts.

Hey I'm Hannah Noel. I am a "pop" person for sure. I am from Holmen, Wisconsin. It is just above La Crosse. I was the one late for class today.... I must have missed the memo that the location changed. I'm really excited about going to the U but also a little nervous (especially for this class). My favorite things to do in high school were golf and gymnastics. Both of those came to a halt when I injured my ankle my sophomore year and underwent surgery following my senior year. I'm glad I got into this writing class because I am really interested in nursing. I come from a family of nurses and would like to keep up the tradition. I love helping people. I think that is where my drive comes from. As a part of the varsity gymnastics team at my high school we had the opportunity to volunteer at a thing called Camp Sunshine, a camp for terminally ill patients and their families. It was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life. I am also a certified nursing assistant which I hope will help me on my path into the nursing field, where my ultimate goal is to be a nurse practitioner. I hope to get to know everyone during this class and have a good time too.

When it comes to "pop," "soda," or "coke," I often find myself saying, "pop." I come from a very small town in Wisconsin called Turtle Lake. It is located about one and a half hours east of here. Turtle Lake is known mostly for its casino. I graduated from there with a class of 34 students. Small, I know. But living there was what made me decide to come to the great University of Minnesota. Since T.L. was so small there was absolutely nothing to do. I had to drive at least half an hour just to hit a Walmart and at least an hour just to get to a mall (or a town worth mentioning). I decided to come here because of all the great opportunities that were presented to me. This is an amazing school for the field that I want to go into. I am currently a biology major (pre-med). I hope to go onto become a radiologist. But we will see how it goes. I am still open to the idea of other careers. This is why I am in the College of Liberal Arts. I am excited about this class because I feel it can open a door to more career opportunities in the health and science department. I hope that everyone is just as excited to be here as I am. I will see you all in class.

Hey everyone, I'm David Hoang, I think, unfortunately, the only Asian guy; or Asian for that matter, in our class. As for the pop, coke or soda, I think I'm far more fond of pop. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone call it soda before. I'm an immigrant, I used to live in Vietnam until we moved here back in '96. English is my second language, though it is essentially the only language I speak. I can read, write and speak in Vietnamese, but I generally do it only to elders or friends of mine who are not quite up to par with English. On Sundays, I go to this school of sort for about 3 hours and kids about Vietnamese and our faith, and afterwords, we have games and activities which helps guide them on the right path to life. My desire to help people coupled with my love for money makes being a doctor of some sort a perfect job for me. I used to play a lot of random sports until I picked up Tennis my sophomore year, that's basically what I do in my spare time now. I hope to get a chance to meet and know all of you guys personally, and of course, have a wonderful passing semester.

Hey Christy,
I can totally relate to your small town living. Holmen, Wisconsin is growing in population but I actually live a few miles away from there in a place called Brice Prairie. There's not so much to do. I may have also mentioned in my post that I played golf in high school. I'm almost positive I played at a place called Tutleback or Turtle Lake??? Any of those sound familiar? I know it was in northern Wisconsin somewhere. I also really like to go up north in the summer. I love getting away where you have no phone service or internet and just relax. I'm a huge fan of laying in the sun, which seems unrealistic for a health major who knows that it greatly increases my chance of skin cancer. I can't go up there for more than a week I suppose. I, like everyone else, would probably go crazy without my cell phone. I don't really have much to say right now, but this blogging thing sure was a cool idea. Good luck on your paper :)

I always say pop. I have often heard others say “soda pop? and I think that sounds ridiculous, no offense to anyone. I think that because it sounds very redundant. It is like saying, “Do you like cold ice?? haha, it just really sounds dumb. Okay, I am from Illinois, a rather big town of 40,000 people. I am about 40 minutes north of Chicago and live in Hoffman Estates. I graduated from a class of 600 hundred students from a school that has a population of 2.700 people. We had over 40 teachers in the English department alone. In high school, I played softball, was vice president for National Honors Society, student lead high school events, and was a part of many other extracurricular events, but really none of that matters anymore. I am here now to start my journey to my career. I want to become a Biology teacher to teach high school students the importance of science. This generation there is a significant decrease in the science education department and I want to change that. I come from a household of 5 girls and wish to be a great role model to each. I live with both my parents and my 2 sisters. About 8 years ago, due to domestic violence, my cousins moved into my house under my parents’ guardianship. My household offered them a safe place to stay where they can have the opportunity to live a healthy life. I want to teach because after seeing what my parents did for them, I hope to give opportunity and great guidance to those students who need it the most.

Christina,
Wow!!! I'm your roommate and I didn't even know about your cousins. That is really an awesome reason for you to want to be a teacher. You have a lot better reason for being a teacher than I do for being a doctor. I decided to become a doctor due to some major surgeries that I had as an infant. It's weird to have scars on your body and not remember where they came from. Oh yeah, I totally agree with you when it comes to the "soda pop" thing too. I think that it is weird how the English language can be different in so many ways. We have way too many words for one item. I think that we need to condense and make things easier. And by the way, thanks for the blog Hannah, it's nice to know that some people are in the same boat as me. :) Anyways, I hope that everyone does well in this class and good luck to all!

Hey David-
Do not just think I am commenting about your page because there are only like five up. I am because your life sounds very interesting. I wish I knew another language. I only know English and the 6 years of French I took within high school. Back at home, I used to teach classes at my church for confirmation. I loved doing it because the kids always got really intrigued when a kid their age taught them about religion. I have a question though? How Americanized are your parents? It sounds weird, but often times I wonder how immigrant families come into the United States and the adults are not fully into the American culture. I hope I am not being ignorant to the subject, but it truly is a curious question. I have two friends who have parents that are not from the states and they are truly the hardest working people I know. I think it is awesome that you have grown into a culture and learned the language and probably mastered it better than born Americans..haha. Well I hope that you and I can talk for a bit and I hope that you attain all your goals. ? talk to you soon.

Hey everyone, my name is Tom Bymark. To answer the "pop", "soda", or "coke" question, I say pop. I'm from a small town in northeastern Minnesota called Hibbing. Most people have either heard of it or not. I'm really into sports and played soccer, hockey, and tennis in high school. My friends are probably the most important thing to me because they're always there for you. My favorite color is blue and I love chipotle. I really like going to comedy nights and met the crew ASIID from America's Best Dance Crew (the coolest show) Season 2 in the LAX airport. I think John McCain made a super smart move in his campaign by picking Palin from Alaska, we'll see how that works out. I loved watching the olympics and think Nastis Luikin and Jonathan Horton are the best athletes, next to Phelps and the men's and women's beach volleyball teams. A lot of random stuff, but I think you'll get the jist of it. I'm really glad to be here at the U of M and am looking forward to having tons of fun and learning a few things along the way. Oh, and I'm in a fraternity, Sigma Nu, probably one of the best decisions I've made so far in my college career. I look forward to chatting with you all.

Hey I’m Theresa Freeman and I am from Champlin Minnesota, here in the metro about 20 miles from here. I went to a high school with a lot of opportunities, we had each class size of about 800 students, and that’s why I choose to come to the University of Minnesota. I am definitely a pop person. I have grown up in the same city my whole life, and was ready to move to the u. In high school I played hockey, softball and basketball, and also interned at a dental office my senior year. I want to become a dentist when I’m older but right not I’m just trying to get into the dental hygiene program here at the u. I am really happy to be in this class because it not only will improve my writing skills but also teach me a lot more about the health science filed. I really care about people and making them feel better, and I would love working with all different types of people each day. Hope to meet all of you soon! See you in class!

Hey I'm Stephanie Payne and I am from Eagan, MN, about five minutes from the MOA. I am a pop person but my roommate is from Texas and she let me in on the 'coke' scoop the first day I moved in - it seems weird that they would call like Sprite or Mountain Dew coke but anyways..I came from a pretty big town of about 60,000 and my high school, Eastview, had about 620 students in my senior class. I liked being in a big city which is probably why I came to the U, among other things. In high school I was on the dance team, LINC, and freshman mentoring. I also have worked at an assisted living home for the past three years and got my CNA/HHA this summer, so hopefully when I come home during winter break I'll be able to put it to good use. I am also the Health Advocate in T-Hall, so if anyone needs band-aids, advil, tylenol, cough drops, etc., I'm in Rm 136. Since I was little, I always loved helping people, whether it be my friends or family, and I think that's why I want to be a nurse. I know this profession is very challenging, but at the same time, one of the most rewarding out there. I think this class is really going to expand my writing skills and hopefully a more critical thinking as well. I'm excited to do some more blogging in the future and look forward to meeting with all of you! :o) :o) :o)

Hi everyone! My name is Matt Tracy and I'm from Woodbury, Minnesota which is about twenty minutes southeast of St. Paul. I was born in Eagan, MN and lived there until I was about five years old, when I moved to London, Ontario. The one interesting fact I always tell about London is that despite being in Canada, it is actually south of the Twin Cities! I lived there for about three years before moving back to the states, where I lived in Woodbury until finally coming to college here. I am the oldest of four kids and I'm the first one to head off to college. I've really enjoyed my experience so far, and I'm very excited to be taking this class because I feel that writing is one of the areas where I could definitely improve the most. The College of Liberal Arts is a good fit for me right now because I'm still exploring career options, and I am glad this class will not only help me improve my writing skills, but also take a look at what being a health sciences professional is really like. I really enjoy the biological sciences and learning in general, it's terribly geeky but it's who I am. I think that this blog is a really interesting, unique idea for an assignment and I look forward to writing these and getting to know all of you better in the future!

Hey everyone, my name is Alexandra Fleming…but you can call me Alex! I have always been a “pop? kind of a person. ☺ I am originally from Minnetonka, MN and come from a long line of U of M graduates. Both of my parents graduated from here along with aunts, uncles, grandparents on both sides...the list goes on! My dad also attended med school here and went on to become a urologic surgeon, and he has had a great influence on my interest in the medical field. I am here because in addition to receiving a great education here at the U and continuing the tradition of my family’s heritage, I want to learn more ways to improve my writing skills, while at the same time focusing on my career path. I am excited to be here because I feel there are endless opportunities in store for me! My major is Physiology/Pre-Med and in the future I aspire to become a pathologist. I truly care about my family and the ones I love, and in the future hope to not only help them but many, many people through medicine with the skills I have acquired here at the University, and in my life.

Hi class, my name is Christine Tzanakis. My actual home is loacted in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin the home of the Leinenkugel's brewery. My whole life everyone I have been surrounded by has always referred to carbonate beverages as "pop" or "soda." Generally, I just say "soda," but sometimes it switches to "pop" depending on who I am with. The first part of my life I spent in a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania called Wexford and pretty much everyone there only calls it "soda." As I said before, I am from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin which is home to about 14,000 people and is located only about an hour and a half east of the cities. My whole life i have have been a big city type of girl. I love everything about the city atmosphere- the smells, sounds, views, crowds, everything. Just knowing that about myself I knew a larger college would be the prime choice for me. All my life I have been the caring type, oretty much ask anyone and they would tell you I am looking out for the best interests of everyone. At the U I am planning on working on my studies to become either an occupational therapist or a pediatric physical therapist, although I do not currently know my major yet. Last year, during this painfully easy class called "Health Care Science Occupations" my high school offered, my teacher brought in over 25 different people who work various jobs in health care. They talked about what they do and how they got there. The whole class opened my eyes up to so many crazy new things including pediatric physical therapy. I was pretty excited when my counselor pointed me in the direction of this class. Not only do i get to study something I potentially want to do with my life, but I also get the writing credit I need. Well good lcuk everyone this semester.

Hey Theresa, that's really cool that you played hockey in high school. I wish I went to as big of school as you did. My class was only about 210 kids. I'm a "pop" person too so that's good that we agree. That's interesting that you like dentistry. I've thought about going into that for a profession. I think this class will be fun, lots of writing but I'm sure we'll have some good times. I think everyone's writing skills will improve a lot. Well, see you in class.

Hi! My name is Sara Sneer. I'm definitely say pop, not soda or coke. I'm from Mankato, Minnesota, which is about an hour and fifteen minutes southwest of here. I swam and ran track in high school, and now I’m on the Minnesota swim team here. I'm pretty much getting my butt kicked! I'm the oldest of three kids. We also have two jack Russell terriers named Josie and Matilda. They're my best buds :-).
I really want to be a doctor, E.R. or intensive care unit, so I’m planning on going to med school. I am also very interested in learning other languages. I've taken Spanish, French, and German. I hope to take up another language while I’m here at the U.
Outside of school and swimming, I enjoy watching movies, playing with my dogs, and listening to music. I also compete in triathlons. They are so much fun!
I'm looking foreword to getting to know everyone in the class! See ya there...

Hannah,
Hey! I can understand why you’re so excited to be out of Turtle Lake! An hour to get to a mall! Wow. I think I would go crazy! Is it tough going to a big school like this coming from a grade of 34? I can’t really say I can relate to you’re small town home, but Mankato, where I’m from, is only like 40,000 people. So a lot smaller compared to up here in Minneapolis. It’s kind of overwhelming but the opportunities are endless! You don’t have to drive an hour to get to the mall. (Unless traffic is bad).
I’m also in CLA because I want to pursue a career in medicine but I am also interested in learning about other areas like Spanish and French. I’ll probably switch to CBS eventually and have biology major. Why are you thinking radiology? What other careers are you considering?
I hope you have a good first week of school and an enjoyable year!

Hi, I am Andrea Faust. I definitely say soda... I think mostly because that it was my older brother says and it just rubbed off I suppose. I am from Rochester, MN. Well known because of the mayo clinic, which is pretty much why I am headed into health care. I want to major in biology and then hopefully head to PA school. I think I will probably end up back in Rochester at the Mayo Clinic, but who knows... I am in CLA now so I think that I will most likely transfer to CBS, like you Hannah, haha. I also do not really relate to the small town people, but being in the cities is a lot different from Rochester. I love it here though. I agree that it is kind of overwhelming, but in a good way. I hope everyones classes go well!
-Andrea

hey everyone! I am Erin Roehl from St. Cloud, Minnesota. It is about an hour north of the cities. I am also a 'pop' sayer, although 'soda' slips out every once in a while! My family has 5 people in it, I am the youngest of 3 girls. We also have a dog named Tess who I basically grew up with! Both of my sisters are studying medicine right now, my oldest sister is working on her Master's in Dietetics at Rush University in Chicago and my middle sister is in her third year of nursing school at NDSU in fargo. My mom is also a practicing RN and charge nurse in ICU. I have no idea where I want to go within the medical field, sometimes I feel like surgery, other times i think PICU or sometimes pre-dent or oral surgery. so I have absolutely no idea yet! I hope to transfer to CBS as soon as I can. ohh, I am a big fan of Grey's anatomy!! I know thats not how hospitals really operate, but it is fun to think so! I look forward to doing research and meeting health professionals through this class, as well as all of you! It is great to finally be with people who have the same ideas as myself!!!
-Erin

Hey, my name is Brandon Van Amber and i am definitely a "pop" person. I am from Apple Valley, Minnesota which is only about 20 minutes south of the cities. When I was in high school, I participated on the soccer and nordic ski team. During my sophmore year of soccer, I was injured the entire season with both a broken and sprained ankle but I was able to recover quickly enough for the start of the ski season. During my junior year of school soccer, my school was actually the state champions and we followed up my senior year with third place in state. I am planning on majoring in chemistry and then going onto pharmacy school. I am interested in Pharmacy mainly because my dad is a pharmacist and I have gotten to see what he has done over the years and it has really appealed to me and he seems to really have a liking for his job. My mom is also in the medical field and is a registered nurse at Abbott Northwestern Hospital. During the summer before my senior year, I did a volunteer program at Abbott Northwestern Hospital where that got me even more introduced to the medical field. I enjoyed that a lot getting to see a glimpse of some of the types of cases or situations that people may suffer from. I really enjoy meeting new people and having fun. I like to watch movies, play video games, and hang out with friends. While im at school, I plan on doing intramural sports such as flag football, hockey and/or broomball. I also just joined a fraternity and I want to continue to branch out into other clubs within the university. I want to get as involved as I can during my college years.

Hey I’m Ryan Hanna. I am from Prior Lake, Minnesota which is located about twenty minutes south of the twin cities area. I am a “pop? person for sure. I always vacation to the south and I overhear people calling everything “Coke?. I think it is fairly annoying. I am very excited to be attending such a great university that has a well renowned reputation. It will definitely help in the long-run when I say I attended this institution. In high school I ran track in the spring and CC Running in the fall. My 4x400 relay team qualified for the State Honor Roll during our senior year so that was a good way to end our career. I am really glad I got into this writing class because I have a hard time writing stories and elaborating on topics. I come from a family of health sciences. My Dad is a pharmacist and my mom is a medical transcriptionist (a person that types medical documents for doctors). I am here to become a chiropractor and I hope it works out. I’m excited to get to know everyone and have a good time.

Hey everyone, my name is Kate Nelson. I am definitely a "pop" person! I am originally from Marshfield, Wisconsin, but have more recently moved to Owatonna, Minnesota. Owatonna is about an hour south of the cities. My ultimate goal is to become a pharmacist. My dad is a pharmacist and owns two of his own pharmacies, so hopefully my experiences working with him will help me in the long run! Also, I'm hoping that this class will help me dive deeper into exploring this career. I ran cross country in middle school and track in high school. I was also on the dance team. I'm hoping to keep up with these things, as I DO NOT want to gain the freshman fifteen! I have a little brother, Erik, who just started high school. Being from a divorced family and living apart from him has been hard. I had been pretty much set on going to UW-Madison, but I woke up one morning and realized I wasn't ready to go that far. Being somewhat close to home will allow me to go home to see him as often as I'd like and to go watch him in his sporting events. And from what I've heard, "you're better dead than red!"

Hey my name is Nik Sak. I'm from Owatonna, MN, but I've also lived in South Carolina, Hawaii, Washington, and Michigan. I used to say "soda," but ever since I moved to the Midwest I've said "pop." I'm not sure of what I'll be majoring in yet, but something medical would be cool. I'm in NROTC here and after I graduate I will become a Marine Corps officer. Well as long as I can keep my grades up that is. Anyways, I'm excited to see you all again on Monday!

Hi everyone, my name is Daniel Mortimer, but since birth I have been called DJ. I grew up in Chilton, Wisconsin and I have always said "Soda." Chilton is about 30 min. away from Appleton, Wisconsin and is a small city of 4000 people and has a small high school that only enrolls around 425 students. I am here at the U to get the best education possible. Also, I thought that the U offered many opportunities to the students which I thought was amazing. My future after getting my degree in microbiology is kinda unclear yet. I have an interest in Pharmacy, but other people have gave me ideas of what I could go into. I am also thinking about going into research dealing with the research of new medicines. And I am very open to anybody that has ideas of what I could do after I get my degree! I am a huge sports finatic and love playing sports and watching them. I played baseball and basketball mainly in high school. Our basketball team was very unsuccessful this past year, but our baseball team won conference. I hope to meet all of you and share ideas in class with you.

Hello! I'm Michelle Schultz and I’m a “pop? person, even though I rarely drink it. I'm from Fargo, North Dakota. Yes, Fargo like the movie, but it’s not anything like in the movie. Fargo is actually a pretty big town and is constantly growing. I had around 500 people in my graduating class and love being around many people which is one reason I chose the U. In high school I was really involved in DECA and wrote many 30 page papers for competitions and went to nationals 3 years in a row. (Its WAY more fun than it sounds!) Imagine a paid trip with 20 close friends from high school going to Dallas, Atlanta and Orlando and being excused from school to do it. I live at my lake cabin in Detroit Lakes every summer. For those who haven’t heard of it, it is the home of WeFest, which I also love. I’ve had my mind set on going into the dental field for awhile, specifically orthodontist so I’m excited for this class to be with more crazy people that want to dedicate their next 10 years to more school!

My name is Travis Seubert, and I am from Portage, Wisconsin. It's located right next to the dells basically. I developed an interest in sports at a very young age. I played basketball, football, and golf in high school. Some of you may know already by judging my t-shirt today, but I am a Packers fan. I'm very proud to admit it. To express some thoughts on the pop/soda discussion I will say a few words. I notice a lot of my friends back home use the word pop instead of the other choices. Although, I still interchange two of the choices. Those choices would be pop and soda. I'm very excited to start my education at the University of Minnesota. I decided to enroll here because they have a great scientific field. The U also has a great Dentistry School which is my ultimate goal. Hopefully this writing class will help me throughout my college career.

My name is Kaitlyn Walsh and I am from Hastings, MN. Little has changed in Hastings since I moved there except that we now have a new high school, a target, walmart and more random fast food places. I was in school with the same kids since kindergarten and by my sophomore year I knew I was very ready for a change. After researching and applying to several colleges in the Twin Cities and Boston areas, the U of M became my ideal choice. It isn't too far away from home but contains the diversity and new experiences I crave. I intend to major in Biology, Society and Environment which will prepare me for a job in the medical or research field. Some of my other interests include choir, theatre and literature. I have always called pop 'pop' and will always be a CocaCola person. I'm looking forward to making new connections with people in class as well as discovering occupations that will fit my diverse interests and talents.

My name is Nick Erickson and I am from Madison, Wisconsin. In my free time I love to play sports such as soccer, tennis, golf, hockey and football. I also love to watch them as well. In the winter I usually go out to Colorado with my family to snowboard. I have been playing piano for 12 years and I am writing my own stuff now. I also love playing the acoustic guitar. I am strongly convinced that the U of M is best school for me. I love all the sciences especially physics, chemistry and biology. I want to major in neuroscience, go to med school and eventually become a neurosurgeon. I look forward to being in a class and working with people who share the same interests as I do. I am definitely a "soda" person by the way.

Hello! My name is Alexandra Allard, I go by Ali but will usually respond to either! I am from Bloomington, MN and also live close to the Mall of America! I recently transferred from the University of Massachusetts, and am guessing that I am the only sophomore in this class! Unfortunately, freshman writing was not a priority to be in at Umass, so here I am. I think it has all worked out for the better anyways because the science focus of this class is great! Anyways, in regards to the "soda/pop" question, I am definitely a "soda" drinker. I am originally from the east coast and using the word "pop" when talking about soda seems silly.
I am really passionate about the health field and the careers it offers. More specifically, I am really into women's health and in the past few years I have become really curious about alternative medicine. I would like to incorporate my pre-med studies as an undergrad into my naturopathic studies in grad school. This was my first blogging experience ever, I have mixed feelings, but hope to get to know you all better face to face!

Hey I am Jay Tavakolian from Maple Grove, Minnesota. I graduated from a class of about 650 students, so I'm from a pretty big school. "Pop" is definitely the phrase that I use. It sounds weird to say 'soda' or 'soda pop' I think probably because I am not accustomed to hearing it. I met some people from Wisconsin that call a water fountain a 'bubbler'. I was in awe when I heard that because it shocked me. I played football, basketball, and baseball in high school, but football was my favorite. I am currently undecided on my major, but I hope to figure it out shortly. Math and pre-med are my two main options. I am also investigating going into the health sciences which is why I am in section of writing. I hope to get to know all of you and have a fun semester.

If tenable, as you gain knowledge, would you insight updating your blog with more information? It is extremely sympathetic in return me.