Roman's Page

Blog Entry # 2 11/2

This second entry here is going to be a follow-up to my previous one, specifically regarding the book I have, Chicano Drama by Jorge Huerta. The fist chapter, which I mentioned last time, called Mythos or Mitos: the Roots of a Chicano Mythology was very enlightening in terms of the concepts we've been trying to grasp. He discusses how society today is used to Western European mythology (Greek and Roman) being accepted as the right mythology and how the myths of other cultures, particularly Aztecs, go largely unrecognized. This started with colonialsim because "like all colonizers, the Spanish had to eradicate the spiritual beliefs of the indigenous peoples in order to truly conquer them. Early missionaries fought valiantly and indiscriminately in their attempt to replace indigenous gods and origin "myths" with one Almighty God and Old Testament accounts of the Creation and Fall from Eden" (Huerta 16). He then very interestingly mentions that the first play produced in Mexico was Adan y Eva (Adam and Eve) put up by missionaries in 1532, eleven years after the fall of the Aztecs. What I believe he is trying to say is that the Spanish were the originators of the oppression and dissimilation of of the unique culture of indigenous peoples. How he relates this to modern times, is that he claims Luis Valdez is trying to re-establish and reinvent Chicano myth by taking historical figures and exounding upon their lives in hos works Bandido, and the movie La Bamba.

Blog Entry #1

Hey you guys, one of the books I picked up at the library the other day is going to be really good for us. It's called Chicano Drama by Jorge Huerta. He uses 1979 (the year Luis Valdez' Zoot Suit came out) as a starting point. Huerta is a director and activist that was closely involved with Valdez. He discusses the point when Valdez decided to take the play to Broadway, and how Huerta and others first thought that it would be a feeble attempt. Valdez convinced them that they needed to succeed on "their" terms in order to be taken seriously. This was interesting to me as it showed how hispanic's still struggle to find a niche in mainstream culture. It's soething we could talk about towards the end of our presentation. Also he has a chapter dealing with pre-colonial origins. I'll read the rest of it and get back to you guys.

-Roman Guastaferro

How interesting. I just met Jorge Huerta when I was in Nashville a few weeks ago...

I think this entry shows a new way of using these journal entries. You've decided to address the other members instead of writing an individual reflection, and I think that can work, It would be great, though, if you could deepen your comments by citing and reflecting upon specific aspects of the source you are reading at the moment. For example, given my insistence that your group ground its research in the time of the colonization, I'd be interested to hear what the pre-colonial origins chapter of Huerta's book has to say. You can increase your individual blog grade by doing this kind of thing in future entries.

Grade: 88%

Re: Blog #2 (Which is really blog #3? The date next to this blog is 11/2, but I think it was 11/twenty-something. Right?)

This information seems incredibly important to your group's presentation. I think the info about how Spaniards replaced the myths of the indigenous peoples through performances of plays like Adam and Eve will help orientate the audience in the discussion. Also fascinating: La Bamba. When I think about that movie, I seem to recall the "saintly" portray of Valenz. Might Valdez be attempting to replicate the Spanish gesture by offering his own "patron saint" of Latino/Chicano culture, thus borrowing from the Christian tradition in order to challenge it? That's a tricky concept, but one that seems endlessly interesting.

Grade: 95% (Keep elaborating on your thoughts. You are putting intriguing ideas out there. Keep going)