New Media Blog Entry 4 | Main | New Media Blog Entry 6

New Media Blog Entry 5

I was interested in exploring my thoughts on the Internet and how people use it. I started to thinking about how I used the internet and then from the "True Life" segment , Girls and IM and then with the Sherry Turkel reading. Being from the generation of people who were using AIM in its hay day I am still shocked to find out some of the thing that still happen online. Starting with Turkels discussion, what is identity, gender and race? I think all of us struggle with this during adolescence. We are starting to find out who we are or who we want to be. Explorations with different identities make sense for youth. But with the transparency and accessibility with the internet people can find whatever they want and be whoever they want. I do not think Identity is a fixed construction within ourselves, but I do think we have multiple personalities that change with certain environments.

I think the internet blurs the lines between who we are and who we are trying to be. I feel as though this confuses a lot of people and therefore many individuals will keep their online identity secret. I also feel I is an excuse for people to play off their insecurities. People who have bad self esteem will post sexual pictures to make them feel good, or have cyber-sex with others because they are too shy to meet anyone in public. It is these things and more that are not helping people, but hindering them to find their real identity. I feel think internet is an easy escape and people take advantage of this. They use it like a drug, but don't realize that I could end up hurting them in the long run. These quick highs do not last forever, and these people will keep pushing to find happiness and self gratitude. It may start with sexy pictures, then turn to wearing barely anything to pornography. If someone exploits this or uses the people doing this it could be devastating for them. But people do not always think about this going into it.

Posted by at May 1, 2009 8:35 AM