« Service-Learning Log 1 | Main | Prompt 7: Design Proposals »

Service-Learning Log 2

While we no longer have an excessive number of volunteers at my organization, there still seems to be a general problem with kids not actually doing their homework. Most of the time we are there, the kids are mainly goofing off or talking, which is not necessarily a problem except that it is distracting to the kids that actually have homework to do. I think a large part of the problem is that the homework help program is seen as a social setting for the kids who live there. I think it's important that the kids have a communal place they can gather, but it also is detrimental to the homework help aspect of the program. I think that the organizers recognize that these are both important goals, but they struggle with organizing the program in a way which is successful at helping the kids with homework without driving them away because it's an unpleasant place to be. The organizers have struggled with how to do this since I have been here, and its obviously a difficult problem to solve. Personally, I don't know what to do about it either.