Assignment1

When's the last time you ate a cookie and at the SAME TIME you also ate your entire lunch? Okay. So maybe you have poor nutritional habits or you're busy or you happen to just really like cookies. For this reason I've created your salvation. Introducing K-Cookie. Dun DUN DUNNNN. K-Cookie will make your lunchtime dreams come true. It is an amalgamation of all your favorite lunchtime staples. Together. IN A COOKIE. Does it get better than this? I think not. With three nostalgic flavor layers K-Cookie brings you straight back to kindergarten (or if you're a poor college student like me...it brings you back to yesterday. When I last ate these things).
Ingredients
Layer 1 --> Snack Layer
The snack layer is made in part of Lays potato chips and is reminiscent of a pie crust. Recipe for layer 1:

1 1/2 C Crushed (not powdered) Lays Potato Chips (if crushed too small, the dough can become tough)
3/4 C Flour
6 T Softened Butter
1-2 T Cold Water

-Stir together, careful not to knead too much to avoid bread-like consistency
-Separate dough and press firmly into the bottoms of each muffin hole on a muffin tin
-Bake 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned @ 325°F
-Let stand
Crushed Chips

lays cups

Layer 2 --> Sandwich Layer
The sandwich layer is the main course of a lunch and makes up the filling of the K-Lunch Cookie.

Recipe for layer 2:

1 C Peanut Butter
5 t. Granulated Sugar
1/4 - 2/3 C Jam or Jelly of Choice (I used raspberry jam)

-Heat peanut butter and sugar and stir together. Place a spoonful (about a one T) into each mini crust
-Add a dollop (1-2 t) of jelly/jam on top of the peanut butter in the crust
-Let stand

PB&J

Layer 3 --> Dessert Layer
The dessert layer is the most traditional portion of the K-Cookie. This is also the layer that can be adapted the most to fit the tastes of the baker/eater.

Recipe for layer 3:
2 1/2 C Flour
1 t Baking Soda
1 t Salt
3/4 C (12 T) Softened Butter
3/4 C Granulated Sugar
3/4 Packed Brown Sugar
1 t Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Chocolate Chips

-Mix evenly together the flour, baking soda, salt, brown and granulated sugar.
-Cut in softened butter until crumbly and flaky consistency.
-Stir in vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
-Crumble dough onto the top of the cookie
-Press down lightly on the top of each cookie
-Bake for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned @ 325°F
-Let cookies cool for 10 minutes in muffin tin
-Remove from muffin tin and enjoy!

cookie layer

I know what you're thinking -- DELICIOUS amiright? Well let me tell you how I took these awesome cookies from drab & (kind of but mostly totally) awful all the way to dapper, delicious, and awesome.

It took three tries for the K-Cookie to be a true success. However, each iteration included one portion that was moderately triumphant in it it's own right.

Attempt #1
The concept for the cookie originated here, but the execution for layer two, the sandwich layer, was much different. Instead of aiming for the PB&J sandwich, I went for gold with the idea of including a grilled cheese sandwich. By heating up cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stirring in some sugar I created a cheesy paste that might have been okay on its own. It was very rich and thick and flavorful. I also sautéed sliced bread in butter and chopped it up into cubes, sprinkling some of that on top of the potato chip layer, putting down the cheese, and sprinkling the rest of the bread over it. Then of course, I topped it with the chocolate chip later, baked, and tasted. These might be things that are commonly eaten together in one lunch period, but when combined into one item it produced a massive failure of a cookie.

One good thing that came out of this attempt was the discovery of the correct ingredients for the Lays potato chip layer of the final cookie.

Attempt #2
This attempt was much stronger and very close to the final recipe/method. After noticing that in attempt #1 my Lays potato chip layer was too crumbly, I tried something else. I used more water than previously used to bond the dry ingredients together. This was not the way to go because what should have been a flaky crust became a cake-like, dry, doughy mess. Not appetizing.

The other two layers were successful and delicious for this round and in attempt #3 I kept these exactly the same, producing delicious results.

Attempt #3
This was my final, successful attempt. I combined layers 2 & 3 with a new recipe (more like the recipe from the first attempt) to create a flakier, butterier crust. It was a winner!
This attempt is where the final recipe comes from and where, once a baker masters the craft, he or she can diverge to attempt new flavors that cover other common lunches.
finished cookie

Basically, this cookie is awesome and it is a new and better way to enjoy your lunch.

Really fun idea and great tasting cookie! Do you have photos of the failed attempts? I didn't think to combine multiple recipes into one. How did you decide on this type of cookie? What were your other ideas?

This was definitely a very interesting idea and great execution! I also wonder what your other ideas were before focusing on the K-Cookie...

If you were to improve any aspect, I think the presentation could communicate the theme better. Maybe making more distinct layers would have helped make it clearer.

The arrangement of your post was clear and organized with how you told your process and how you put your final recipe at the beginning and then explaining how you reached your final cookie.

One thing that maybe could be worked on is the spacing on where the final recipe and the process could be spaced apart a bit more so it doesn't run on.