DIGITAL FOCUS FINAL REFLECTION

DIGITAL FOCUS FINAL REFLECTION
Parallax Quotation

Media: Web Design

Size + Format: 1000px x 7000px

What conceptual ideas or thematic subjects did you investigate with
this project: This project was largely an exploration into the use of parallax scrolling. I wanted to utilize the available technology to make something unique and interactive.

Describe your work process on these finished pieces :
The biggest part of the process for me was just learning how to create the effect that I wanted. I already knew how to make web sites using HTML and CSS but I hadn't gotten into a great deal of Javascript. So I found a very basic tutorial on how to do this effect and I used some of there techniques and combined it with my own ideas and techniques that I came up with. Once I had a basic understanding of the parallax scrolling, I came up with my idea and and content. I wanted to scroll through a world and allow the viewer to read a quote. Another large part of the process was getting each individual piece that I designed to scroll at the exact speed, position and time that I wanted. That took a lot of playing around with but I finally got it.

(What creative + technical issues came up as you worked... How did
you resolve problems? What discoveries did you make? What would you
try again?)

Evaluate the success of the final craft of your finished project:
I think the project turned out very successful! It doesn't have any crazy twists and turns that make it unique and unpredictable but I think it was a great first attempt at making something that works using parallax scrolling.

Describe how you would ideally present or share this work with a
public audience:
Since this piece was done all on the web, I think it is best that it is shared on the web. Something that adds to the effect is when a viewer can see it happen in their own browser. When they can see it scroll in the same place that they check their social networking sites, it makes it that much more memorable. So ultimately I want to put this project on my own public blog and spread it through word of mouth and social networking and I think it would have the power to spread itself.

Describe how you would expand on this creative work if you were to
continue developing it:
I think I would like to continue working on other parallax projects using its effect but also combining it with other parallax effects. I also would like to work on some other ways that the technology could be used in practical ways. It's a very cool effect and something that I would love to continue using!