Week Three: Drosophilia and Other Embryo in Development

In the first two weeks of developmental biology lab, we have been able to use a Leica DMLB research scope. Although it was intimidating at first with many more knobs, buttons, and value than I am used, I soon learned that it was much less complicated than I anticipated. Featured below are two of the images that I captured using the a camera connected to the camera tube on the scope. Subsequently, the links below the two images are photoshop-edited versions in which I enhanced by adjusting contrast and sharpness, as well as adding a scale bar. The objective lens used was 5x/ 0.12.

embryoinsitusec2.jpg
embryoinsitusec2edited.psd

The first image (above) is an illustration of an embryo in situ (in position). Unfortunately, the label of the slide did not identify an of the specificity of the embryo type or time of development. However, you are able to see a pattern of cells that. hopefully, I will be able to identify more specifically as the course progresses. The second image (link) is a more clear representation of the development of the embryo. With the help of photoshop and the ability to adjust the contrast and sharpness, I was able to create a better quality picture.

drosophiliadeveloping.jpg
drosophiliadevelopingedited.psd

The second image (above) is an illustration of a drosophilia embryo. However, the specifics of development are minimal. On the slide information, it stated 'Drosophilia development.' The link below the image is an edited version using a photoshop program. I edited it by adjusting the contrast and sharpness of the image, as well as adding a scale bar. Although the Leica DMLB scope produces fantastic images, the camera seemed to decrease the quality of the image. Therefore, the ability to edit the images using a photoshop program has great advantages.