Week Sixteen: Working with bubbles is more than just fun

Today in lab, we made a mixture consisting of Dawn soap, water, and glycerine in order to play with bubbles. Although this was fun, it actually has some application to developmental biology. In fact, many biologists have written books about the math behind soap bubble forms that can be related to cellular architectures (i.e. epithelial sheet or a blastula).

Although it was a lot harder to manipulate the bubbles than I thought, I was able to make some pretty cool formations. The first bubble formation that I was able to make is similar to the blastoderm with the blastocoel and blastoderm layer (see image). Although I was only able to make a few bubbles line up, you can still see how the bubbles attach to the end of another bubble in order to form a lining around the center. However, this is also some asymmetry with the bubbles which was hard to avoid. photo.JPGblsatoderm.jpg

The second bubble formation that I was able to make is a little harder to describe in relation to biology. This bubble formation kind of resembles the gastrulation of the blastula to form the gastrula where the outside layer folds into the center. However, you can see the differences in the last image below of the gastrula. Gastrulation is the process that forms the three germ layers known as the ectoderm, endoderm, and mesoderm. After this stage, the organs will being to develop during organogenesis.
photo (2).JPGBlastula.png