Lightning is a major cause of storm related deaths in the U.S., out pacing hurricanes and tornadoes in most years. In the United States, there are an estimated 25 million lightning flashes each year. During the past 30 years, lightning killed an average of 58 people per year. This is higher than 57 deaths per year caused by tornadoes and average 48 deaths to hurricanes.
Only about 10% of people who are struck by lightning are killed, leaving 90% with various degrees of disability. Lightning survivors suffer from a variety of long-term, debilitating symptoms, including memory loss, attention deficits, sleep disorders, chronic pain, numbness, dizziness, stiffness in joints, irritability, fatigue, weakness, muscle spasms, depression, and more. (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/index.htm)
Now is a good time to review our Severe Weather Procedures in the Building Emergency Procedures Manual and refresh your memory about the Libraries safety procedures for all severe weather. Then take the following test to see if you know all there is to know about lightening safety: