Create Entry

Recently in Library Related Category

Week of August 27th-31st

Hi everybody,

Priscilla is very busy this week with Reserves, and with Amy out I would like you all to be especially efficient and self-reliant. If you need help of have a question, please consult your coworkers around you or at the other desk, this blog and its many helpful links, Tim by chat or phone, or Charlie Heinz or Amy Neeser by chat or phone. Your absolute last option should be Priscilla, and only in case of flood/fire/Bat Signal. PLEASE KEEP PRISCILLA AS YOUR ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT, UTILIZING ALL OTHER RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO YOU. She has very important work to do. I will try to remain on chat all day, even when I am away from the desk.

Thanks!
Tim

CybraryN!

Hey all,
I just wanted to note that the thing I've had to do more than actually make a guest account for someone is to look up their existing number on the system because they've misplaced their card. In this case, Tony has recommended finding their number and then copying and pasting it to a word document to print out. This is easier for us so we don't have to write it down, and is less likely to result in incorrect reproducing or issues with sloppy handwriting. So...now you know!!

-Alyse

2nd Floor printer trick

Hey guys!
I don't know if everyone remember my last message about the printer from upstairs but I notice when I print I still get about 2 to 3 other print jobs before my comes out and some are alot of hold slips. There is a trick to can this printer to work!!! As I said before. When your print job can not print out then shut it off for a few seconds and turn it back on... It won't print off right away so the trick is to have Patience for about a minute then what you know your print job has printed.... lol I hope you guys can remember this trick when you work at the second floor desk!
Cheers!

Toner Scams

Please do not give out any information regarding library equipment to someone who randomly calls our library circulation desk number. There are people who pretend to be a vendor and state that they need equipment information for an inventory, survey, service call, or a mixed up supply order. They may be very pushy and threaten to contact a supervisor if you don't comply. All of this is done to erroneously bill the library for toner, etc that we would not order through these people.

We purchase our toner via University contracts and the UStores. A legitimate vendor knows whom to contact in the libraries regarding equipment and supplies. You can tell the person that they can speak with your supervisor and transfer the call to Amy, Priscilla, Mary or Tim. If we are not in the office transfer the call anyway and they can leave a voice message. (They will probably hang up at this point).

Reserves books

Hello,
I have a quick tip for the new workers. When working at the 2nd floor desk, try to encourage students returning reserve books to return them to the basement circulation desk. Returning them to the basement circulation desk ensures the next user has access to the book right away. Staff at the basement Circ Desk may assume the book is still checked out when it is just sitting up at the 2nd floor desk.
thank you,
Rosie and Priscilla

Copy machines

Hey all,
Today, our basement copy machine was jam and help fix it. One big tip for everyone who has the basement pick ups is Do not fill the machine too full. I remembering talking to metra sales, who comes to fix the machine, and he said not to fill them too full because there not much room and the paper will stick together creating paper jams!!. So next time try not to fill them too much
Thanks

Study Break

study break.jpg

Wednesday December 15
7:00 pm
1st Floor Lobby in Walter Library

There will be free soda and cookies, free books for fun reading over Winter Break, snacks from the Wise Owl Cafe, and the chance to win prizes in a trivia challenge.

RESERVE Update

Chem 1021-1022 has a new item on Reserve. It is a Custom Solutions Manual.

The manual is divided into sections. The call number includes the chapter numbers to help the students get the section of the manual needed.

For example, Chem 1021 uses QD33.2 .S55 Chpt. 1-7 and QD33.2 .S55 Chpt.8-12/15.

Take a look at the course page for each class to become familiar with the call numbering.

Printer at the 2nd floor desk

So I print something out today and nothing went but I shut the printer off and turn it back on. Then two request came up and I was able to find one book for one of the hold slip but not the another. The trick to get the printer to work if it does not print, is to shut it off, wait a second, then turn it back on. It SHOULD work. If not call one of the supervisor. The funny thing is the hold slip that I can't find the book for, well the name of the patron use to be my old roommate.. small world.

FUNNY NEW RESERVE ITEM

When an instructor places material on RESERVE that is not the kind of thing the library would ordinarily buy for library use I often give the item a funny call number.

We now have a DVD here which is to be used for a class Midterm in CSCL/SCMC 1201. There are 10 copies of the same film clip.

Students must use the DVD in the Library and there is NO OVERNIGHT usage as is typical of DVD's. It has a 2 hour loan period but the student can check it out again if needed.

The call number is listed on the course reserves page but here it is too:

X CSCL/SCMC 1201 Clip.

All X call numbered items are at the end of the RESERVE call number range. Ask for locational help if needed.

Subscribe to Blog