Recently in Digital Focus Category

Good News and Bad News

I have some good news and bad news. In good news, one of my classmates Trent went out and found some of my signs. Here are some pictures he took:

27741_10100208774516130_13952269_61271966_485415_n.jpg

27741_10100208775284590_13952269_61271973_7674323_n.jpg

27741_10100208775294570_13952269_61271974_889003_n.jpg

Now for the bad news... The day after I hung the signs Duluth had a freak snow storm that lasted pretty much all day. Now I thought I had weather proofed the pieces as well as I could, but the day after a friend of mine went out to see if he could find the signs and he had no luck. I am pretty sure the snow destroyed all my signs, but oh well. I tried :(

Tweed

Here are some pictures of me by my piece in the Tweed during the opening of our class' show:

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

Signs Are Hung

All the signs (except the one hanging in the tweed) have been hung up around Leif Erickson Park in downtown Duluth. Here are some photo hints on where to find them:

jaridwaniger_arrow2.jpg

jaridwaniger_heart2.jpg

jaridwaniger_key1.jpg

jaridwaniger_rupee2.jpg

jaridwaniger_shovel2.jpg

Signs Are Done

I finished up 6 signs, here are some pictures of them:

jaridwaniger_heart.jpg

jaridwaniger_key.jpg

jaridwaniger_potion.jpg

jaridwaniger_rupee.jpg

jaridwaniger_shovel.jpg

jaridwaniger_arrow.jpg

Update

I have began making the actual signs, but I have run into some problems with the wiring of them. As soon as i get one of the sign up and working I'll post some pictures of them.

In other news I have decided that I am going to be hanging the signs up around downtown Duluth during the Homegrown Festival as to get the most exposure of my project to the most people I can.

Early Drawings

I made some drawings in Photoshop of what some of the symbols on my LED signs may look like:Thumbnail image for Arrow.jpgBomb.jpgPotion.jpgRupee.jpg

Invader

invader.jpg

One of the biggest inspirations for my LED graffiti project is the French Street Artist Invader. He goes around cities and installs his 8-Bit Graffiti art and then posts maps to find his pieces on his website.

LED Graffiti

I really enjoy the idea of using LEDs to make temporary graffiti. One way this is done is by attaching magnets to LED nods and throwing them at metallic buildings such as in this video:

Another way this is done sometimes (not always the best thing to do) is to make LED boxs and hang them up around town. A couple years ago the television company Adult Swim hung these LED boxes up around cities unannounced in order to promote the show Aqua Team Hunger Force:

url.jpeg

The bad thing about this is that due to it not being announced, the police thought it was a terrorist attack and bomb squads were brought in to remove the light boxes.

Viedo as Art (and Some Cool Lights too)

Film has existed since the late 1800's and already by the year 1927 it was being used by artists to create their works. Fritz Lang's Metropolis is considered to be the best representation of German Expressionist film. Lang uses film to subjectively express his thoughts and feelings towards a subject, rather then tell a straight forward narrative.

Even Pop Artist Andy Warhol used film to create his rather odd works.

Musician Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails uses video and LEDs to create spectacular performances during NIN shows.

Minneapolis Philosopher, Writer, and Poet Azrienoch uses Typography based films to bring his poetry to life.

Even commercials for clothing can be considered works of video art.

How to Set Up LEDs

url555.jpeg
I am not sure about any of you, but when it comes to LEDs and me all I know is, "Look at the pretty colors!" Before I embark on this LED/VIdeo project I should learn me some stuffs about them. If any of you care to learn too, I found a quick and easy tutorial on them here.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Digital Focus category.

Avatar is the previous category.

Recently Noticed is the next category.