« People in the Middle | Main | language on public tv »

Posting Pictures Online

It seems as if Facebook can be both a good and bad thing. After reading the article Say Cheese: 12 Photos That Should Never Have Been Posted Online, I think it’s safe to say that Facebook, MySpace, and other personal online websites, can be what you make of them. This article discusses 12 different instances where pictures posted online have caused them great consequences, mostly job-related. It does a great job in sense that eludes the fact that all consequences could have been avoided if the person posting the picture would have thought about the fact that everyone can have access to the internet, and you could be being watched at any time.

All twelve photographs discussed in the article say all the bad things that have happened to the person who posted the picture, but only one directly states that the person “endured a painful lesson on how to use Facebook’s privacy settings?. This photograph was one of the later ones discussed and up until that point, I felt is if the article was never going to get point I thought it was trying to make across. I believe it was on this instance that that the article switched from discouraging the readers not to use Facebook, to saying that it’s okay, as long as you watch your back. If everyone listen what has been said since online websites such as Facebook came out, we would not run into to problems such as this and personal websites would not be look at as such a bad thing.

On some cases, I do believe that employers have the right to punish their employees, and that is when the employee lies and has gotten caught. I’m not a promoter of the lying however when you are not smart enough to watch your back, and post photographs of your “family emergency? online for everyone to see, you not only to be punished by your employer, you also need to once again “endure a painful lesson on how to use Facebook’s privacy settings?. In cases such as this I think that it comes down to pure stupidity, if the you know that anyone can see what your posting online, you better make sure that you don’t post stuff which could cost you your job, and get you sent to jail.

Some may argue that when they are punished in instances such as this, their rights are being violated and that they are being treated unfairly. I do believe that in some cases this is the truth, however it is like the case where the drive videotaped them self driving at excessive and unsafe speeds, something need to be done, because they’re not only putting themselves in danger but also others as well. Another case in which I had strong opinions on was when teachers have posted inappropriate pictures of themselves online. As a teacher you are expected to a role model and set a good example for your students. It should also be well known as a teacher that students are very prone to have web pages such Facebook, and that they will try to find information about anyone and everyone. I do however believe that is perfectly ok for teacher and more mature generations to have personal web pages like this because they offer great networking possibilities.

As a whole, I believe articles such as; Say Cheese: 12 Photos That Should Never Have Been Posted Online, offered great insight into the dangers of internet. I took away more from the article that you shouldn’t post inappropriate photographs but also just how dangerous the internet can be. Anyone can see anything if you don’t watch your back and use the privacy settings made available to you. I believe that is very important for anyone who chooses to post any person information online to do use the settings and anything that is too serious or personal, do not post it.

In conclusion, after reading the articles pertaining to this subject, I believe that when used in the correct ways and with the correct provisions, Facebook, MySpace, and other personal blogging web pages can be a great way to network. These websites allow the reconnections of former classmates and even family members. As long as they don’t contain inappropriate information or pictures, they can also allow for potential employers to get a feel of who you really are and may lead to the decision of whether or not you get hired by this certain employer.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/150920/say_cheese_12_photos_that_should_never_have_been_posted_online.html%253Ftk%253Drl_noinform

In response to your position, I disagree with a few things that you stated. In the third paragraph you write that you agree in some cases that it is all right for employers to punish employees. The difficult task with this however, is how do you justify a case in which the employer has the right to punish the employee? You have to make the decision whether or not it is correct for employers to snoop online.

I feel that social networking websites like Facebook and Myspace, should be independent of the workplace. I do not think that employers should be justified to punish employees for pictures and media that they post online. Social networking websites should allow the person to post whatever pictures they would like too. It’s not right for employers to snoop around online to locate the places all their employees go. I feel that by employers doing so it is an invasion of privacy of the employee.

In that article, one of the last examples was the man who worked for Microsoft and posted a picture of him using an Apple computer. Microsoft canned him because of this picture. In my opinion, the Microsoft Corporation has no right in making a decision like that. Firing an employee should be based on their productivity in the office, not by what computer they use at their home. I feel that it is too rash of a decision to punish someone based on a computer in a picture with him. If he was advertising for Apple, or behind the scenes working to support Apple it would be a different story, but he is not.

In your position paper, I feel that it’s important to analyze each individual story that the author discussed. I would agree with you to some extent that it is wrong to lie to your employer and go off and do something that’s forbidden by the company you work for. However, I feel that companies should not have the ability to snoop into employees’ social profiles and make hiring/firing decisions based on media that is posted.

Upon reading the above mentioned article and the position statement I disagree with both Dan Tynan and the author of the position paper. I mainly disagree with how Tynan handles the situation of each person in the photograph. He very easily passes judgement and puts his own misguided opinion on each photograph. All of the posted photos produced grave results for the person in the photo, which I feel, no matter how irresponsible it was to post the picture, is no laughing matter. In the case of the Texas art teacher who lost her job I feel it was wrong of her to be fired, and totally wrong for the author to pass such quick judgement. I viewed some of the teacher photos and they were very tasteful in my opinion. I also disagree with the author of the position statement. I believe in no circumstance should employers have the right to ridicule and possibly fire there employee for activities that did not occur during work. In the example of the microsoft employee taking pictures of the mac's that occurrence took place during company time so microsoft did have the right to fire him. But in the case of the Texas teacher and Oregon Mayor they did not deserve to be fired. In someone's opinion the photos may have reflected badly upon their character but in no way affected their work performance. In all the article in my opinion was distastefully written and I disagreed with the author of the statement on the authority that employers have over their employees.

It is true that it is someone’s pure stupidity in cases in the article “Say Cheese: 12 Photos that Should Have Never Been Posted Online.? People know what they are putting online on communication networks such as Facebook and MySpace. They know there is public access to photos, but how much public access is allowed is up to a person. Those people should have been more careful when selecting certain photos to be placed on their online space. At the same time, though, when placing the photos online, one usually doesn’t think that a potential employer may be viewing his or her space. Usually people assume it will just be friends, friends of friends, family, and etc. Hopefully people will become more aware that employers have access to online spaces and can potentially base their decisions off of the information, especially photos, which they see.

Even though employers have access to people’s information, I do disagree that they have a right to punish their employees for all cases. An employer’s decision of hiring someone should be based off of an interview and a résumé, not from what he or she sees on Facebook or MySpace. When a person is on staff too, an employer should not fire him or her because of things they’ve seen. People have a life outside of work, and sometimes they may make stupid decisions, but if those decisions are not pertaining to work, it makes no sense that an employer can fire someone. It may have been a bad choice to place inappropriate photos online, especially because it may portray how a person may act in a work place, but that isn’t always the case. An employer should base their decisions on the way a person handles themselves on an office or an interview session other than their personal life.

For the case about the teachers posting inappropriate pictures online, I agree that teachers should be role models for their students and set a good example. These teachers placing unwanted pictures online are ruining the chance for possible network opportunities to work in a school setting.

I would like to start off by saying that I believe certain networking systems such a Facebook are an asset to today’s society. I feel that it is because of these networking systems that we are able to connect with people around the world. When these networking tools are used incorrectly individuals must be prepared to deal with any ripple effects that are involved.

Putting vulgar words and “bad? pictures on our social networking pages is acceptable if you are in the right position. This position is a person who has nothing important in their lives. I am currently in a position as a state FFA officer. I must at all times keep my profile clean of these “bad? pictures and vulgar words. I must do this in order to be looked at as a role model and a professional. At first, this was frustrating to me and I didn’t understand why I “couldn’t live my life.? As the year has gone on I have realized that in order to be successful in this world we must always present ourselves as professionals. One word comes to mind when I think of this, that word is congruence. If our values are congruent with our everyday lives, then we can truly be successful in whatever it is what we do.

Posting “bad? pictures and vulgar words on networking profiles is only okay if the actions they portray align with our values. When our values are congruent with our actions, then we can take a step forward into the future.

Wow! This can be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Fantastic. I'm also a specialist in this topic so I can understand your hard work.