« What's the Optimal Number of Facebook Friends? | Main | The End Of White America »

Are you on Facebook right now?

Facebook is a communication website that young teens to older adults use to connect with friends and family. But is that all we use it for, do we only use it to keep in contact with old and new friends; or do people use it to look cool, and to look popular by having over 600 friends. The article that Matthew Hutson wrote was true; he knew so much about Facebook that I think that he is also mind controlled by Facebook. I saw differences and similarities on his thoughts. Anyone that is anyone who has a Facebook is addicted to it. Why do I have so much information? Because I am a victim of Facebook.
When a person meets another person at a party and they talk for the slightest second. Right when one of the other get back home, they go on Facebook and search them on the friend search and asks them to be friends with them; anticipating for their friend approval not to talk to them, but to just have an extra number on their friends list. People only ask other people just to look cool, to reach a goal of having the most friends out of their friends, and to not look like a loser. After reading this information on Hutson’s article, there are a lot of differences to this. I have a Facebook account and I have over 600 friends, but that does not necessarily mean that I have that many friends to look cool, or to show off that I am popular; I have that many friends because that is the amount of people I know and met in my life, that I would want to know more about; and those people are some people that I would want to stay in touch with in present time and in the future.
Like I said, I am a part of this traumatic effect of meeting a person somewhere then the instant I get home I get on my laptop and Facebook is the first site I visit. Since I am attending the University of Minnesota, I always meet new people; so every time I log on I always have a friend request waiting for me or I look onto other friends pictures and If I ever met the person my friends are with, I always ask them to be my friend. As “stalkerish” as that sounded, Hutson was right. People get on their Facebook and scroll through their friends picture albums and go through every single picture, they know where their friends are by checking out their status on what they’re doing; and people scroll up and down their friend’s wall postings and read who their friends are talking to and what their friends are doing when, where, and at what times. It is a phase that everyone is going through and that is all people look at while they are on Facebook.
“They hypothesize that Individuals with too many friends may appear to be focusing too much on Facebook, friending out of desperation rather than popularity, spending a great deal of time on their computers.” I wish I could say that this is a fact but this hypothesis is what every teenager does. People check their Facebook on a daily basis, and sometimes stay on it all day. Facebook is like those swirled circles that hypnotizers have, telling us to stay on Facebook instead of studying, telling us to waste our time on going through everyone’s pages and writing comments; and as intriguing as that sounds everyone falls for it. I have written papers, studied, and read academic work while talking to friends, looking through pictures of friends, and checking it every five minutes for the anticipating wait of a new notification; it is horrible how people can waste their time on it. All of my friends are always online, and I know their online because they message me every single time I log on. Most of my friend’s statuses are “I need to start studying, I am not in school mode right now, I am not ready for tomorrows test.” I am guessing a big cause for all my friend’s troubles are from Facebook, why would they waste their time telling people their problems over a status and comment bar while they can be studying. You be the judge.
Facebook is great way of entertainment when people are bored and a great way to communicate with others, but Facebook brings out a lot of non understandable problems how people cannot study, waste two hours on Facebook when it seemed like ten minutes, and make people look like stalkers. I do not really believe in the hypothesis that people having 600 friends is a way to make them look cool; it is just a way to show how much time Facebook sponges out of you to make you have the time to find 600 friends when you could be doing something better for yourself. From moving from MySpace to Facebook; Facebook is a type of electric drug, everyone is addicted to it until something better comes out that is more convenient to communicate with friends.

For the most part I agree with all that you have stated and suggested. I really liked how you explained that people, like yourself, that have six hundred or more Facebook friends are not necessarily trying to portray themselves as cool or popular. Before I read your response as well as the article I did not really think much about how many Facebook friends someone else has and did not really care. In my experiences at the U of M I have found that most people seem to be somewhat timid or shy when it comes to first impressions. A lot of people don’t want to mess it up so they don’t even bother with it in the fist place. I think that Facebook is a good place to make that first impression a little easier to deal with. If you meet someone knew it is very easy to find out more about them on Facebook. I also liked how you said that you have six hundred friends because you like to have a record of all the people that you have met in your life and it seems that Facebook is easy to do that. I also read an article in business week that talked about the same subject. It was a discussion between two adults and one had more Facebook friends than the other. They both agreed that to them it did not matter but the number of friends you have seems to be a way to try and compare yourself to others. I do not totally agree with this but it is interesting how people often talk about how many friends they have.

I agree that facebook definitely is the new drug craze. It's almost sick how much of my time is wasted on it, but I just can't help it. Until these articles came up on how many facebook friends is optimal, I've never even really thought of it, and I'm definitely on the low end I think i have about 348 facebook 'friends'. The one thing I do support facebook for is making it easier to meet new people, it first started out as a college only e-mail account website to get more college students involved on campuses. But i think it's definitely gone one step too far, and has become the new addiction. I don't think it matters how many facebook friends you have, i suppose it does matter to some people, and it's just another way to look cool or popular that most people who have lives outside of facebook don't really care about. Facebook is attacking everyone though, it's not just a world for college students and teenagers it's spreading to businesses, stay at home moms and anyone who has internet access and wants to stay in touch and be connected. It's starting to be really scary.

Nowadays there has been a lot of debate on this issue. I'm not the biggest fan of facebook and probably never will be. Somehow I've never understood the whole ideology of what facebook stands for. The slogan of facebook is that it connects you to people around you. When you have 600 "friends", are you really connected to each and every one of them in a real sense? It seems that people nowadays have the wrong perception that if you meet someone for a few minutes on the street or a party then they can be classified as your friend on social networking sites like facebook and myspace. This seriously raises doubts about the definition of a friend. Personally I don't think one can have 600 "friends". Think about it, I meet a lot of people every day at the "U". If they were indeed my "friends" then I would have had thousands of "friends" by now. Now if you have around 200 friends then that's reasonable. I can say for a fact that even though I have around 150 friends on facebook, I personally know each and every one of them and vice versa. I also only use it to keep in touch with them. This doesn't mean that I'm not cool. Atleast I can safely say that they are the people whom I can trust as I know them in a true sense. I appreciate the fact that you have 600 friends not to be cool but to keep an account of the people you have met but the question is are they really your "friends" ? On the other hand I do agree with you on the fact that it is facebook is addictive. People are wasting their whole lives because of this addiction. Hopefully people realize that it is the actual meeting of people that matters at the end. They need to start realizing the difference between the virtual and real worlds.