« Facebook and Bebo risk 'infantilising' the human mind | Main | Beer No Longer Recession-Proof »

Facebook and Bebo risk 'infantilising' the human mind

Facebook and social networking sites are now being blamed for infantilising the human mind. This means that social networking sites are making our minds childish and immature. Social networking is being added to the list of technologies that are corrupting the children of the world. People are using these sites to stay incontact with people and to meet new people. I do agree with Greenfield when she says, "This was coupled with a distancing from the stress of face-to-face, real-life conversation, which were "far more perilous … occur in real time, with no opportunity to think up clever or witty responses" and "require a sensitivity to voice tone, body language and perhaps even to pheromones, those sneaky molecules that we release and which others smell subconsciously". If people get lost in there virtual world and rarely have an important conversation face-to-face. This will effect the future geneations ability to have intelligent conversations.Just like reading the only way to become a stronger speaker is to practice it. The number of books being read is decreasing not solely because of social networking there are many reasons the this is happening. If the popularity of blogging and social networking continues to raise then the future generations will be effected.
ADHD is attention-deficite hyperactivity disorder. Greenfield says that, "If the young brain is exposed from the outset to a world of fast action and reaction, of instant new screen images flashing up with the press of a key, such rapid interchange might accustom the brain to operate over such timescales. Perhaps when in the real world such responses are not immediately forthcoming, we will see such behaviours and call them attention-deficit disorder." I have grown up with a family member being clinically diagnosed with ADHD and i do not believe that being on social networks or playing video games has cause him to have ADHD. The man I know infact never had the opertunity to be on the internet, to gain access to these sites, or to play video games. This man's family didnt even own a game console or a computer until after he was diagnosed with ADHD. To a certain extent I believe that some kids that are put on medication for ADHD do not even have the medical condition. The parents just think that their child is abnormally hyper and they cannot control them. Never-the-less they are put on the medication and it helps them concentrate and control themselves better. Part of ADHD is not being able to stay concentrated on a certain task for an extended period of time. Unless the child is greatly interested in the task and/or topic. Then it is hard to distract them from that task and/or topic until it is completed to the fullest of that individuals extent. So social networks effecting the concentration levels of people with or without ADHD is a gray area to investigate seeing that people with ADHD already have a hard time concentrating.
Greenfield is very right that the up raising popularity social networks is effecting and going to effect the newer generations. I do not believe that it will effect it to the extent she is suspecting. There will be an effect on the abilities for people to interact and carrying on a conversation face-to-face with another person. This is one of the undeniable effects of social networking but text messaging is also going to influence this effect. I just have a hard time believing that social networking is going to increase the effect on our attention spans. Which then is going to increase the number of people diagnosed with ADHD.

Most of the things that you said in this article I agree with. To start off with I think that Facebook and other social networks will show in the future to affect a person’s ability to communicate one-on-one with others. Also just like you said with text messaging that isn’t helping either. We aren’t going to completely lose our ability to carry on a conversation in real life with someone but how in depth and meaningful these conversations are will take a hit. Social networks can be very helpful to communicate with friends and family and I don’t think that they should be abolished by any means; I just think that people need to not use it all the time. The problem seems to me that people are addicted to it in a way and that’s what is making it “unhealthy”. And as for it being said that Facebook causes ADHD I don’t believe that at all. I haven’t had much experience with people with the condition but I know it’s not something that you get from being on a social network too much. That’s a serious thing that people have and that they can’t control. I also couldn’t agree more that it seems parents put their kids on medication because they think they have ADHD too because they can’t control them. So it seems like it wouldn’t be to far fetched that some think that social networks will do that to a person. But in truth it is and that isn’t something that will likely ever happen.