« Hymen or Prostitute? | Main | Madoff Made-off with Minneapolis »

Upload Complete : Google Books

In case you get bored spying on your neighbor with Google Earth, trying to find your own picture on Google Images, or with the ho hum sources found using Google Homepage, you can now access Google Book Search, “the twenty-first-century equivalent of the Library of Alexandria”, to read books online, search with in books for words and phrases, and read reviews of any book. For instance, if you type in “Google Books” in the Google Book search, “Googlepedia” pops up. On the right hand Sidebar, if you search “Copyright”, you are led to a page with a little quip on the end. It begins:
“As the Google Books Library Project goes about its business of scanning hundreds of thousands of library books, it’s important to note that Google is scanning those books without first seeking the approval of those books’ authors or publishers. That has caused a great deal of friction between Google and the publishing community-and at least one major lawsuit“. (Googlepedia). On one hand, Google has collected at little cost thousands of pages, documents, and books worth of information and opened it up to the public. On the other hand, Google’s new book store and library monopoly has the potential to overtake the efforts of the original authors, publishers, and venders of these books.
Whether or not you oppose Google’s efforts along with the Authors Guild, shy away from the Google Monopoly by hiding in the “Dark Age”, or subscribe to Open Minded Cosmopolitan Intellectual Rights and Utopian Ideals newsletter, you automatically qualify for the eighteenth century “Republic of Letters” bill of citizenship. The act of reading and writing is essential. “Writers formulate ideas, and readers judge them. Thanks to the power of the printed word, judgments spread in widening circles, and the strongest arguments won” (Google and the Future of Books). There fore, It makes sense to let the public deside whether or not they will use Google Books. Lets face it, in today’s economic downturn, who could afford to be apart of the imagined “Republic of Letters” let alone buy volumes of books. “Despite its principles, the Republic of Letters, as it actually operated, was a closed world, inaccessible to the underprivileged. Yet I want to invoke the Enlightenment in an argument for openness in general and for open access in particular.” (Google and the Future of Books). At the risk of uploading books with out permission, google has now provided people with the opportunity to view parts of books they probably never would have heard of otherwise.
Google isn’t the first to step on Copyright Law’s toes. It is not hard for anyone to download music, share files, take pictures, or even to check out a book from a library. Information is being shared and transferred at an incredible pace. Lawrence Lessig then raises the question, "What does it mean to society when a whole generation is raised as criminals? The creative practices of today's youth include a range of activities -- file sharing, most notoriously, but also the production of mashups -- that are illegal under the current copyright regime, but criminalization is having little success as a deterrent. Instead, the focus on "piracy" is changing our relationship to the law itself, which has come to seem arbitrary and unfair, and it's hampering creative and educational uses of new technologies.” It's time to consider, Lessig argues, whether the costs of this war are too high. Although Congress has passed 24 laws to correct copyright problems, it has failed to protect artists, businesses. It seems as if Congress and other authority are focusing on the wrong “intellectual rights” culprits. “While the public authorities slept, Google took the initiative”. (Google and the Future of books). Google is just moving along with our culture of open communication. We have come to expect easy access to information. Lessig points to a number of successful examples, including craigslist, Flickr, YouTube, and Slashdot, all of which combine a mode of community-based production with corporate services. "You create value by giving people what they want," Lessig points out; "you create good by designing what you're offering so that people getting what they want also give something back to the community.” (Remix) At the end of the day, Google is bringing back books to society and at the same time advertising lesser-known books for free.

Google and the Future of Books, http://www.nybooks.com/articles/22281

Miller, Michael. “Googlepedia”. http://books.google.com/books?id=sZPXICDPcKwC&pg=PA484&dq=google+books&ei=PEjMScWhC4vKNYenle4N#PPA512,M1

Ink Slinging http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2009/01/ink-slinging-wr.html

Lessig, Lawrence, “Remix: Making Art and Commerce thrive in the Hybrid Economy”.

Review of Lessig, Lawrence, “Remix: Making Art and Commerce thrive in the Hybrid Economy”.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/bn-review/note.asp?NOTE=19717592

*This is the second time I posted this blog : I'm not sure if it went through the first time

I think Google is wrong and right about this situation. I can see why publishers and authors are getting mad because Google is just giving free access to the public on there books and publications. But what they need to understand is Google is helping people by doing so because they don’t have to pay for the books and sometimes everyone don’t have money especially college students (from my experience with books for school) to pay for books. This is just a situation with keeping up with technology obviously Google is way ahead of the publishers and authors. With the way new things are coming out now- a -days the publishers and authors should have thought about this idea before Google did. This is also a situation about making money of course because everyone is about making money, Google doesn’t have there own books but they just thought of an idea where they can make more money and have more people using their website for whatever reason’s. It seems as though these publishers can’t compete with Google. I don’t think it’s a real serious issue that should be criminal because like you mentioned in your position statement there are a lot of other sources that’s being used free from the internet. The internet is very powerful and influential to today’s society.

I agree with the statement you made. In fact just the other day my roommates and I were having a little fun by putting our name in Google and seeing what we got. Of course what pops up is a variety of people that have the same name as you and maybe even stuff or pictures about you. I was freaked out by it because it is very easy for someone to just get a name and figure out something about them by just looking on Google. I also like what you said about the copyrights that are going on between websites and books. Yes, people are not able to pay for them these days so why not just get a summary of it from the internet. Many people are doing this but what is stopping them? That is why I think that schools have enacted strict plagiarism policies so that we have to learn how to put someone else’s thoughts in our own words. I hope that the copyright issues will be figured out by having a law passed in the future so that people get credit for what they have said.

I have recently started a blog, the information you offer on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

Your weblog is fine. I just want to touch upon the design. Its too loud. Its doing manner an excessive amount of and it takes away from what youve bought to say --which I think is basically important. I dont know in case you didnt suppose that your words might hold everyones attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good supply like this.

Greetings from Idaho! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, excellent site!

Utterly understand what your stance in this matter. Though I'd disagree on some of the finer details, I feel you probably did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.