« Define or Be Defined: Dimmocks Photodocumentary | Main | On Stewart's CNBC Takedown »

Death or Pleasure?

After reading and looking at the pictures of Jessica Dimmocks photographs, I was sickened by the views of her giving head to a man aside the road, having sex, and bleeding out all of the blood that streams through her body while shooting herself up. Yes these pictures are sickening and disturbing, what it is what people love to watch. Everyone loves to watch people suffer.
When it comes to today’s social life and media, everything deals with violence and sickening views. From violent shows like UFC, worlds dangerous scenarios, and Spike T.V. Including sickening, deadly shows like Crime T.V. and websites as rotten.com for people to view sickening pictures of deaths that had happen to people. As you can see everyone loves violence and deaths that is the one of the biggest entertainment viewings people watch and love. So for Dimmock to make a project like this is very difficult and hard.
The way Dimmock presented herself in this project was a smart young woman that was innocent and a nice grown girl. But she wanted to explore more of what meth heads go through; which is one of the hardest things a person could do. Simply coming from being innocent to being in a household and having meth put on a plate every single day. By being a photographer and only having her camera, she takes evidential pictures of everything that goes on in the household. Innocent people in America love seeing what people are initially afraid of. They love to watch the horror and suspense people go through, in movies, shows, but they get into it even more when it is reality setting in.
One of the websites that people like going to is Rotten.com. It is a sick website where FBI, crime investigators take pictures of how people died and post them up on a website for peoples entertainment. The website includes t-shirts, press, porno, mug shots, and legal rights on the website. But the biggest reason why people visit the site is because there are sickening pictures as a guy gets his head chopped off by a helicopter and photographers take up close and personal photographs of these dead people. There is another picture that caught my eye on it which it is called knife fight. And the title explains what the photographs are of, a man getting into a severe knife fight and having gauging cuts all over his back, ribs, and chest. The website has gotten a lot of public media, which over hundreds of thousands of people visit to watch and view the pictures for entertainment. And since our media of creepers have gone up to strange weird things; Dimmock presenting herself with porn, drugs, and sadness has made big media towards people that like that stuff.
Not only did Dimmock show us sickening, touching pictures of what she went through but this is a quote out of her article that she said. “All I was thinking about was, I wanna get high. I wanna get high. You know, I wanna get high. I guess the junkie life was what I wanted. I had really no other aspirations. I just never tried to do anything. The only thing I really wanted to do was, you know, get loaded, and sit around and do nothing. So that's what I did.” Anyone can read this part and realize that people’s lives get destroyed. The person they were before is gone, and it shows the only side effects that happens when you do drugs; the negative side of drugs. It shows that there are no feelings or personality left in a person after taking drugs; you lose yourself through everything you used to have.
From everything that I read and saw on Dimmocks article, I was not grossed out or had any negative side effects, I was actually amused and thought that the pictures were interesting where I stared at each picture for five minutes. I am one of those people that are stuck into violence and death myself, I find all of it amusing because it is not a thing I see every day or even occasionally. Unlike the hymen Natalie Dylan, Dimmock took a chance, a dangerous one that could have ruined her whole life, but she did research on a whole new level, by actually experiencing it. The way Dimmock presented herself was dangerous yes, but as Dimmock said at the end of her whole research article “You can explore further... you should explore further.”

I found several things that I agree with you on and also several things that I do not. First of all in the beginning of your write-up you say that Jessica Dimmock became a drug addict and how people love to watch others suffer. I do not fully agree with that. I do not feel that everyone loves to watch others suffer because there is a lot of good in the world also. With that being said, I also do not believe that is the sole reason that Dimmock became a drug addict. I think that she decided to document her life because it would give people a chance to see just what it is like to be addicted to drugs and the life that it can lead to. As far as rotten.com goes, I have heard that a lot of things on that site are fake. Whether or not this is true or not is beyond me. I personally do not like to view the after effects of murders but there does seem to be some kind of attraction by many to it. Towards the end you say that you actually took interest in her story and I think that is a very good demonstration of this. There is a connection of wanting to know the real side of something. We are constantly sheltered by what we can and can’t see on television. Dimmock’s documentary offers something completely knew and interesting and that is what catches people’s attention. They want to know the real side of something that they have never seen before. This is the same case with rotten.com. Many people do not get to witness people being killed but their may be some kind of fascination with wanting to see it once. This website may offer the key for them to see the real side of something they have never seen before.

I’ve found that you have written a very controversial response to a even more so controversial article about somebody who doesn’t have a very sane head upon their shoulders. Primarily, you state that you were sickened by the views of Jessica Dimmock participating in these obscene gestures in her photographs. I agree that these views are beyond sickening, yet you said that it’s what people love to watch these days, and “everyone loves to watch people suffer.” First of all, I don’t see the logic behind somebody finding a repulsive picture sickening, yet saying that everyone loves to see it. To me, at least, these two things are very contradicting in and of themselves. After looking at a photograph that I found to be sickening, I can honestly say I didn’t love it in the least bit.
Now, secondly, you mention the website rotten.com, and again insist that everyone loves violence and deaths. If everyone loves violence and death as much as you say it does, then why are those two things some of the most feared and looked down upon in today’s society?
You point out that at the end of Dimmocks article, she says “You can explore further…you should explore further.” I agree whole-heartedly with this statement. Nonetheless, there are certain boundaries that must be exercised when deciding what to explore, and how to explore it. I don’t think that quote applies for anything. There are certain limits that one must respect.
I do agree with you, to a certain extent, how such things that Dimmock portrays can be slightly amusing at times because it is not something you see on a day to day basis. However, I can’t say that I love looking at hideous pictures such as the ones she’s taken. There is a fine line between loving something, and taking a certain amusement in it.