« Google and the Future of Books | Main | Protest Photographs Reversing Social Control »

MOA and Stillwater

People are very unaware of thing around them. Always going about there day, never just taking the time to notice the small significant thing around them. I understand exactly what Ian Frazier was talking about when he told about the old home plate of the twins. People would just walk by, never noticing it, never knowing that that was where the twins won the world series, that “Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew, the greatest Twin long-ball hitter ever, who batted right, stood there many times on the way to a lifetime total of 573 home runs.” coming from the small town of Stillwater, or the birthplace if Minnesota, I see people like that everyday. I often found myself downtown Stillwater just looking at all of the old original buildings that are still standing off of the St. Croix River. The old lumber mill for example, just think of how many thousands of trees passed though there when it was still running what though thousands of trees went to. Or the old prison, that was burned down because someone, who was not supposed to be in there, got bored. That prison held one of the most famous bandit to ever walk, or rather ride, in the US, Jesse James. Nobody really seems to care about the old anymore. We are all just too absorbed in our own fast paced lives. Look to the future and leave the past behind, Hakuna Matata as some would say. But I have news for you my friend; history is part of our future. If we don’t remember the past, we can’t move on to the future. History repeats itself. It is sad really that we don’t care about the local events that happen before our time. Our past is part of who we are, and that is something that we can not change.

I completely agree with you. I really liked when you said, “Our past is part of who we are, and that is something that we can not change”. I think people should take more time to stop and smell the roses. My dad’s a history nut and writes short stories about his life on the Mississippi river and the history of the Mississippi and I absolutely adore it. I love to take my time and think of who else has been the place I am, what they went through or what they were thinking. It’s just so much more interesting then wondering what new video game has popped up on your favorite website. I agree with you history is important, and I like the way Ian Frazier talks about it in his article and sitting at the home plate watching the others around him and their reaction, or well lack of reaction. I think we all do just need to slow down remember history and simplify things.

Ian Frazier’s narrative on “the four rectangles houses Sears, Macy's, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdale's” and the flashbacks, people, and places associated with the Mall was detailed enough to give provide a counterexample to your blanket statement “ People are very unaware of things around them”. Perhaps Frazier is a writer at heart, and writers naturally observe their surroundings and journey, but I would like to believe writers aren’t the only mindful people. Sure, when the topic is the MOA, people will seem to be hectic, crazy, and insensitive to their surroundings. Believe me, I know; I work there. The MOA is crazy. In fact, I don’t think Frazier did it justice. “The same sense of warm oblivion prevailed. Unchanged, too, was the jingling thrill of acquisitive success that always seemed to be occurring just beyond where I could see.” The mall is anything but warm; it is a frenzied dirty place full of unemptied garbage cans that are ever filling due to the never-ending usage by the food court customers. Frazier did however hit on some of the xenophobic feelings definitely felt at the Mall of America. Despite its cosmopolitan name, the mall seems to be inhabited mainly by white surbanites and the occasional well off tourist. But I digress. The sense of apathy or unawareness you speak of was probably gathered off of one of Frazier’s memories of the “man and a woman pushing a crying baby in a stroller stopped on top of the home-plate plaque, unaware of where they were”. As wrong as it is to live life in the fast lane, I’m sure small crying children tend to train both attention spans and capacity to think clearly of their parents. Frazier seemed dutifully nostalgic of the baseball place himself; to him History was a memory to share. Anything you care about that others don’t is going to be disheartening, but it is no reason to feel that people as a whole are apathetic about their surroundings.