« Facebook and Bebo infantilising human minds | Main | American Memories at the Mall »

Reading will always be "reading"

Books have been an educational source and a filled with imaginations for the brain to picture. In the 21st century, technology has taken over many people’s lives and made the world busier. Now no one has time to sit down and relax with a book in there hand. People are always checking the there stocks in the market, checking e-mails, or simply on Facebook; Also known as screen reading. With our busy lives, are books slowly fading out of our lives?

Christine Rosler has taken on a topic that most people are too busy to realize. Books are simply just not that popular when comparing to the old days. I believe that though books are fading away, our society will actually be increasing the better readers than the past, because people have an easier access to the internet to read the news, emails, etc. We will have the world’s news within seconds when it happens. This generation is much well equipped to be smarter than the past generation. Just as Rosler states in the article “Just as our styles of reading have changed, so too have our reasons for reading and the amount of time we devote to it.”

I found the reports of the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) published a report, “To Read or Not To Read: A Question of National Consequence” ridiculous. It states that “People who read regularly for pleasure are more likely to be employed, and more likely to vote, exercise, visit museums, and volunteer in their communities; in short, they are more engaged citizens.” I think that people who read regularly for are smarter people but I don’t believe that that would make them more likely to vote, exercise, etc. I don’t read regularly for pleasure but I still do all of those things. It is just that I don’t have time to read regularly, I have better and important things to do in life.

I also highly agree with Steven Johnson, author of Everything Bad Is Good For You: How Today’s Popular Culture Is Actually Making Us Smarter (2005). He argues against the NEA stating that when comparing the economic status of obsessive novel readers and obsessive computer programmers over the next ten years, who will be more successful? Steven Johnson is trying to say that in this society, novel readers play no big important role in the economic society. Others have found that screen reading is just as or more effective than book reading with educational use.

Comparing the two, they both play a different role in teaching especially to kids. Book reading is useful in a way for the kids to imagine in the mind of the places that the book takes place. When screen reading for example like reading from the internet, games, etc. The games are teaching critical thinking skills and a sense of you as an agent having to make choices and live with those choices. They can control the destiny of the characters and have them learn from their mistakes. In a novel, they would have to follow along with what the author has written in his book. These are the new ways of learning they both are valuable to the children who are at the perfect age for learning. This will give our children a broader experience when comparing to the past generations of just novel reading. This expands the mind to think in different ways. After all this is the new age filled with great technology. The chief executive of Scholastic Publishing said, “We’ll see more about the impact of technology and the interaction between graphics and words,” he said, but since reading is “visualizing in your mind, there could easily be a rebirth of intellectual activity, whether you call it ‛reading’ or not.”

With the fear of books going out of style, an newly item changed the way humans have read novels. It is call “Kindle”, launched in 2007, it is a portable electronic reader. This saves the readers the space and weight of the books that will be needed to carry around. This item has memories to save many books into the system for easy reading. I thought this was a great innovation, this save space and money for the readers. This also saves the trees from being cut down to become the pages for the books. This item will be a great use in this society where everyone is too busy to have pleasure reading time.

I agree with some of your points. But you have to remember that all books aren’t novels, there’s fiction, non-fiction, biographies, special interest, graphic novels etc. And you saying “I have better and important things to do in life.” is your own opinion, I actually think reading is really important to living life. Video games are great, but books are classic. And just because the author is telling the story does not mean that the story stops there, it continues with you. Books are suppose to make us think and challenge our imagination. Video games are an imagination killer, since you don’t get to imagine what the fairy tale world looks like it’s already there for us, in all it’s pixel glory. I don’t think it’s that people don’t have time to read books, it’s we’re leaving in a fast paced society and no one wants to slow down to read a book they think is out dated. But there’s still a large portion of the society who reads for pleasure. I’m not saying that it isn’t great that technology is advancing, I think kindle does sound really cool. As Descartes said, “the reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries”. As great as technology is, I’m an old school girl who wants rows and rows of bookshelves in my apartment.

You make several good points in your position paper, although a few of those are quite debatable. I do agree with you when you say that books aren’t as popular as they used to be. And it is quite possible that our society will actually be increasing the amount of better readers. But, I think that with such an easy access to the internet to read the vast amount of news and information available to you with the click of a mouse, people will only become more distracted. From personal experience, every time I have attempted to read a book or article online, I get too easily distracted by the hundreds of other stories and pop-up ads flashing all over the screen, and don’t even wind up reading what I intended. I think that screen reading just can’t be compared to actually reading out of a paperback. If all you have is a book in front of you, that’s all you’re focusing your attention on. I think that there are too many opportunities to get sidetracked when you’re reading off a screen. The other thing is that when reading off a glossy computer screen, your eyes get stressed out a lot quicker than they would if you were reading off a sheet of paper. Also, I do not think that the simplicity of attaining information off of the internet will make anyone any smarter. I feel that it will have the opposite effect. The reason I say this is because I know that back in the day, when writing a research paper, people had to do actual research in a library and find the information using their brain. Nowadays, you go to the Google search engine and type in your search query and Google searches everything and finds everything for you in a matter of milliseconds.