« Clarification | Main | Reply to Cheri re: Thesis question »

Blogging

This concept is very new for me. I love our coversations in class, but I have to get used to this random thinking via the internet. I guess I just prefer the face to face contact. The thoughts and comments that an in person conversation triggers. I was reading some of the comments on my classmate's blogs and I feel very inept, Maybe (probably) it is my insecurity with the form of conversation. A thesis question (that I've heard before) "Is technology making us an antisocial nation?" I like the huiman face to face interacion. While automated and computerized conversations have become necessary for businesses to be competitive financially, must we extend this to our personal relationships? What ever happened to calling you classmate up on the phone and asking them to explain the homework? I guess I am just all too romantic. In many ways I should have lived in 1900, although I wouldn't want to give up my modern comforts.

Oh my God, I'm blabbering on my blog. I must really be in thesis hell!

You are not alone. I have come across many people who feel the same as you. Much of my work is internet based with conversations happening in virtual time amongst participants from across the country. It's efficient, but you lose a lot of nuance and rapport because of the sterility of the vehicle. Still, I've always been rather fond of virtual communication simply because it gives me time to ponder each word I say. It also allows me the freedom to walk away mid "conversation," which is imperative for me working from home with two little girls to watch. You'd never know that I left and was playing catch with my daughters for a little while about three sentences ago.

I know, many people express feelings like yours. But then I smile when I think about the letters that we so faithfully reproduce--you know the ones written between artists or thinkers or families--all from the 19th & early 20th centuries. How strange is it that we think letter writing when it reaches its audience a few days later and on paper is more thoughtful, more loving, more valuable than 'letters' written on a key board and send electronically.

Do we value the written word less because it is now in a different medium?

Sarah

I must comment on Sarah's comment. I hear from my colleagues (certain ones, for sure) that we need to walk to someone's office to speak instead of email (I will never do it because I'm busy - but I'll email them - and that's better than ignoring them), and that we need to write letters instead of email (but I don't have time to hand-write notes, as much as I agree they are nice and "seem" more personal, although it is just as personal as a typed note - still my thoughts, right??). reality: It boils down to perception, not logic. People still perceive the personal effort as being more valuable.