Digital Focus | Project Overview

Throughout the next 13 weeks I will be conducting a series of experiments that explore the impact of specific environmental factors on visual communication.

I will be updating my blog on an experiment by experiment basis, documenting my process and reflecting on the conceptual aspects of each.

Some environmental factors that I may explore include:

LIGHT
Forms cut from reflective vinyl laid on plain vinyl of the same color, the image appearing only under certain lighting circumstances. Some of my inspiration:

Bright Bike from Michael Mandiberg on Vimeo.

TEMPERATURE
Freezing images and typography in ice. This idea was inspired by a discarded love letter I noticed frozen under about 1/2 inch of ice on Tischer Creek in Duluth, the translucent nature of ice allowing only certain words to be visible.

Andy Goldsworthy
View image

WATER

View image

SOUND
Recording the audio waveforms of ugly, beautiful, or otherwise pointed phrases, and showing the resulting visual aesthetic, juxtaposed against contrasting words or images to expose new meaning. Here's an example of some of the visual forms audio waveforms can take:

Cymatics - the study of visible sound and vibration

This sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Will these three elements be exposed to the public, or solely for your own viewing/exploration?

I think it would be interesting to do some of these experiments in public to document the reactions of everyday people.

This page contains a single entry by water156 published on February 4, 2010 2:30 PM.

Project 1: Avatar was the previous entry in this blog.

Pixel-Based Music Project is the next entry in this blog.