MDG Responses

During the honors presentation in lecture goal 3, promote gender equality and empower women, stood out to me. They had some really great ideas about how to promote gender equality and empowering women, however it seems that a large part of their presentation didn't focus on their goal. Not that the information was bad or incorrect, it just seemed like they research an entirely different goal then goal 3. In my opinion they put way too much emphasis on providing better schooling for the communities and how that would make a difference and how it would help to improve the conditions for the people of community. I don't think that they made enough connections to how improving the school conditions would help promote equality and empower women, i think they focused it too much on just improving the school conditions which would be great if they were doing goal 2 about achieving primary education. However i though the rest of their presentation was well done.

Another presentation that stood out to me was goal 7 about environmental sustainability from my discussion section. They talked about how it is now becoming profitable for oil companies like BP to go into Canada and dill for their crude synthetic oil and how it is very costly and is damaging to the environment because they are wiping out basically entire forests. They made good points about how BP is marketing themselves a company that is going green but they actually aren't because of all the damage they are doing to the environment and how costly it is to make the fuel and how sometimes it takes more fuel to produce fuel than what that fuel will actually make.

MDG Cover Pages

I did three styles of cover pages. The first is simple and straight forward. The second is more of a combination of the simple and straight forward theme along with a couple photos to help bring out a greater sense of the topic on the cover page. And the third cover pages is using pictures for words.

Cover Page 1
Download file

Cover Page 2
Download file

Cover Page 3
Download file

Styles of Presention

Here is some inspiration on how not to present/document our term project

Built Environment = Who You Are

I think that the built environment greatly supports who you are. If you take your home for example, everyone may not have the opportunity to physically build or change the room to how they would like it but that aside everyone is different, tailored to everyone's personality. Even dorm rooms where the majority of them are physically built the same very few if any look the same. Because everyone takes their space a shapes it to show who they are. With the way they layout their furniture and the type of furniture, what colors they paint the walls, what type of pictures or posters they display, their personal belongings in their home and how its organized or disorganized are all a reflection of "who" someone is.

If you've never seen two of your friend's homes and you went to each of them without knowing who's place you were going to I can guarantee that you would be able to tell who's room is who's just with the way they have them "reflecting" "who" they are.

I think this is one big reason why when so many people have the opportunity to either build a house or buy a house they choose to build because I think most people prefer to live in a place that could "reflect" them in every way possible because that is where the individual feels most comfortable.

If i were to switch homes with a friend for a period of time; I would probably begin to feel displaced after a while. I think this is similar with animals in a zoo. You cannot just put an animal in like a 10x10 stall and expect them to live like the would in the wild. If you look at zoos the majority of them have shaped the animals living spaces to simulate their natural habitat's and because of this a lot of animals have survived better in captivity, even though no matter how good you make the zoo it will never be like the wild.

Life without Restraint

If I were to be released from the constraints of the Architectural program...

breaking free popup.jpg

I would begin to look for other sources of architectural knowledge by traveling across the globe looking at the many different styles of architecture. After my travels I would build an estate for myself where I can escape and compile the knowledge I have gained from my travels into forms of architectural works for both personal use enjoyment and also for public betterment.

IMG_2256.JPG

Hunger and Poverty

Hunger is a feeling experienced when the glycogen level of the liver falls below a threshold,[citation needed] usually followed by a desire to eat. The often unpleasant feeling originates in the hypothalamus and is released through receptors in the liver. Although an average nourished human can survive weeks without food intake,[1] the sensation of hunger typically begins after a couple of hours without eating and is generally considered quite uncomfortable. The sensation of hunger can often be alleviated and even mitigated entirely with the consumption of food.
16hunger.jpg
hunger.jpg
starvation_picture-640x428.png

Hunger is a problem for every country on the planet. Every 3.6 seconds someone dies of hunger. 800 million people in the world suffer from hunger and 100 times that number will die from hunger every year.
p7a.gif

The right time to eat is: for a rich man when he is hungry, for a poor man when he has something to eat - Mexican Proverb Quotes

Where there is Hunger, Law is not regarded; and where Law is not regarded, there will be Hunger. - Benjamin Franklin

The Easy Way Outs

When we first were assigned this blog prompt I immediately thought of homelessness in Minneapolis. Because homelessness is relevant in Minnesota, but moreover it seem like the easiest topic to right about... So I started to write about homeless. I mean it seemed like the best fit; it had something to do with design (home/shelters) and it was also an social issue.
homeless picture 1.jpg
Their are 2,726 homeless people in Minnesota who are under the age of 21. Their are between 550-650 homeless youth under the age of 21 without shelter on any given night in Minnesota. Over half of all the homeless people in Minnesota have been without home for more than a year and a quarter of all the homeless persons do not have a high school diploma or even a GED.
homeless picture 2.jpg
While writing about homelessness I started reading the other blogs and realized that there are a number of other social issues out their, not to mention the large number of blogs that already talked about homelessness. So that got me thinking about the other social issues mentioned, graffiti, pollution, wind power, etc. And I realized isn't another social issue the "social issues" that are a problem in Minnesota today?
Social Problems.jpg
Civilizaton at last.jpg
Could the main cause for all these social issues be a moral one. If you look at some of the statistics on what causes these social issues we will see physical/sexual abuse, mental abuse, drugs, family breakups, etc. If we can find a way to work with the government or our churches to help prevent the cause we could very well eliminate/reduce more than one social problem that is plaguing our society today.

The Heart and the Blood, and a City

The scene that inspired me in the Andy Goldsworthy film was the part where he found the rocks that were rich with iron and when he ground them up and tossed the into the river. Goldsworthy went on and talked about the connection we share with the color red (rocks where red do to iron) because our blood is red and we need our blood to live.

That got me thinking about cities and how suburbs and the surrounding rural homes cannot survives with out the city. If you look at cities closer like downtown Minneapolis you will notice the majority of the major buildings are basically a reddish brick which symbolizes the heart and blood which in turn basically symbolizes life which is true about the city. If you took away the city all the surrounding areas would eventually die away. You would be taking away their economical source of life so the surrounding people would need to connect with another city in order to survive.

If you take this idea to another level you visualize the city as the heart and the people as the blood, no matter which one you take aways the other one will die. The people provide the energy through the city, they flow through the city like the blood flows through the heart and they transform the city, making the city stronger. If you visit a city one day and revisit the same city six months later their is bound to be change, new buildings, new streets, etc.

If you take the people away from the city it looses it's energy and becomes useless to the body. Just like taking away the blood, without blood in the body what good is the heart. Same thing happens with the flow when you take away the people/blood their is nothing left to flow through the city to bring oxygen or life to other parts of the body or surrounding areas and the body will die. Their is also no way for the people to regenerate because they wouldn't be able to get to the city and "absorb" necessities. And all transformation would stop. The city would stop getting stronger and slowly start to deteriorate.