Main | Ignoring the Masses »

The Energy of A Community

An instant rush hit me as soon as I stepped foot off the light rail and saw the Midtown Market below me. This place was vibrant with energy; energy produced by the people. Energy is often a word that most people use to explain heat, water cooling, atoms bouncing off each other and many other scientific terms. However, as soon as I stepped into the market I felt a different and more tangible energy. I was welcomed into the makrket by vibrant music, beats, and dancing. However, this was only the undercurrent to the flair of the people. The energy was not confined by walls or doors; the energy was not confined by prejudices that can often times rule people's lives. It radiated through the people, the compassion and the understanding that we are never as different as we may think. Scurrying about the market were fathers with their sons, friends, couples, teens, a grandpa and grandma. People were welcoming, engaging, thoughtful, and very kind. It was one of the few places that I have been with people of many different ethnic and religious backgrounds where they made me feel as if I belonged there too. Everywhere I turned there were people holding hands, talking to vendors and each other; interacting with people through the environment.

Energy can be felt through the people of the market but it is created through the environment that we engage in. The market is a place that brings many different kinds of people together to share in the joys of food, music, and handcrafted goods. It is a very positive environment filled with the unescapable smells of fresh vegetables, rhythmic dancing, drumming, and bright colors everywhere your eye can rove. Even the sky being cloudy and gray couldn't take away the light the radiated from this place in every direction.

I took pictures of the market hoping to captivate the essence of it but I'm afraid I am not looking into photography as a major. While I was taking pictures I came across a man and a group of small children. The gentleman informed me that this group was a group of young children that went out into the community and jumped in feet first. They met adults and other mentors outside of their neighborhoods who helped them with different projects and guided them towards a finish line. When he heard that I want to be an architect he told me about an architecture project he's working on. The kids, architecture students, architects, and volunteers will meet in a park and build a model of a lighthouse. The lighthouse will then be on display somewhere in the community. I found it comforting and inspiring that if you put yourself and your energy out into the world, something very positive and meaningful can be created.

View image
View image
View image
View image
View image
View image
View image