Murmurs in the Blogosphere

I can't say I know what exactly is going on over at Generation Bob. All I can say is that a book is more like a tattoo than a balloon. And that blog content is easily exportable to book form. And that books and blogs are two very different media; it would be pretty amazing for a book to work as a blog. And if it did, it would probably work better as a blog than a book anyway. Some bloggers even get publishing contracts based on their material.

Photoblogs are popular, both at the U. and in general. And for genuine polymaths, blogs provide a means of bridging public and private lives. Most blogs have pretty short life spans; people get bored because they have no readers (ie the public function is not served) or they get in trouble because of them (privacy is violated). Thus, the "freedom of speech" which sounds so appealing is actually self-limited in the interest of protecting our private selves. Blogs are memoirs of the immediate past or the present even. They allow us to peek into someone's psyche not as they recall it years later with the benefit of hindsight but in real time.

Let us know your thoughts, but keep in mind that your mom (and mine) might be reading.

Posted by webs0080 at January 11, 2005 7:22 AM