Nickel and Dimed Reflection

After reading the beginning of this book I have come to realize how important it’s for the writer to really understand what they’re writing about. In this piece the author actually lives the lifestyle of a minimum wage person by working long shifts for 7 dollars and hour while still trying to make the rent. I think this is a great piece of writing because this person was able to communicate the lifestyle of a minimum wage worker by using her education and then living in that kind of lifestyle. To me this is the only way a person could legitimately tell the reader what it’s like to live like that. I believe this is something all writers should do to really understand what they are writing about and communicate that by using their skills.

Nickel and Dimed Reflection

Nickel and Dimed Reflection

Nickel and Dimed Reflection

Smells like Teen Spirit Reaction

This paper talks about, in depth the song “Smells Like Teen Spirit? by Kurt Cobain. The writer talks a lot about how this song connected with so many about growing up in America. The author repeats countless times on how Nirvana wasn’t the first band to write a song like this but it was how the song was performed that allowed people to understand what they were talking about. The writer talks about how the song at times was distorted and the lyrics weren’t articulated very well. That was the basis of his point that this is why the song connected to so many people. The author used the analogy of someone hitting their finger with a hammer and how every body knows how bad that hurts. The author compares that to the song saying that every body knows what Nirvana was feeling or talking about in the song. The author also talks about how his older brother, who was nine years older but did not understand it. The author at that time was nine and did not enjoy this music at all. But as he got older Nirvana became one of his favorite bands, and he did understand the song. The author then made the point that Nirvana made the generation gap clear.

Batman Refltcion

After reading this essay there are two main points the author talks about throughout the paper. Those two points were homosexuality, and capitalist. When the author talks about homosexuality being implied in the move she starts with batman and robin showing signs of being “fags.? One example she used was if they were strait there nice little place they live would be filled with beer cans, and robin wouldn’t be giving so much attention to batman when he gets injured. I believe the thesis to be found on the bottom of page 353 were it says, “Obviously, they must be fags: otherwise they’d have a butler named ‘butch,’ live in cramped quarters littered with beer-cans, wouldn’t show concern for one another’s injuries or be caught dead in a dressing gown and cultivate only cactuses in small ugly metal pots?? The essay also claims that the villain is the most homosexual because of the tight green leather pants he wears. The second part of the essay talks about Bruce Wayne being a respected member of society and basically being a good owner of his company. He shares his profits with his employees along with even giving an employees family money after he committed suicide on the job.

RR to "The World is a Text"

Reading the intro to this book has opened my eyes to a lot of things. Things that I usually wouldn’t think about that I do unconsciously every day. The title of this reading, “The World is a Text? is really the truth. At first when I looked at the title I had no idea on what that could mean or where this reading was going to take me. It only took about the first paragraph of the reading for me to understand what this was about. Every day you read things. Even your parents! When you see and talk to your parents you read what kind of mood there in. If they’re in a good mood you might tell them things that you wouldn’t if they were in a bad mood. In hockey I unconsuslly read plays every day. When the opposing team is skating down on a 2 on 1, I’m the defenseman; I have to read what the person with the puck is going to do. Is he going to pass it to his teammate for a onetime shot, or is he going take the puck to the net by himself. Now realizing this I believe it will help me in the future with my writing. I will now look more closely into what things mean and how other people may interpret them.