April 21, 2012 Definition

Last Week's Definition
Leadership is the way in which an individual acts to influence others around him or her to produce results. Effective leaders should be able to match their personal vision to their actions and utilize different leadership styles in different situations. Leaders are ethical people and understand that there isn't always a single right answer and are able to make decisions based on their personal values. Leaders should be unbiased and should not quickly judge people based solely on their physical appearance.

This Week's Definition
Leadership is the way in which an individual acts to influence others around him or her to produce results. Effective leaders should be able to match their personal vision to their actions and utilize different leadership styles in different situations. Leaders are ethical people and understand that there isn't always a single right answer and are able to make decisions based on their personal values. Strong communication skills are one of the most important tools a leader can have.

Analysis

Communication is a vital tool for the success of leaders. Being able to effectively communicate can mean the difference between success and failure for a leader. Thus, I added a sentence about the importance of communication.
I removed the bit about leaders being unbiased simply because it seems redundant and unnecessary to state.

Saphiere, D. H., Mikk, B. K., & Devries, B. I. (2005). "Factors Affecting Communication Style: Starring acts in the circus." 47 - 82.

Sessions, L. F. (2010). How offline gatherings affect online communities: When virtual community members 'meet up'. Information, Communication & Society, 13(3), 375-395. doi:10.1080/13691180903468954

April 7, 2012 Definition

Last Week's Definition
Leadership is the way in which an individual acts to influence others around him or her to produce results. Effective leaders should be able to match their personal vision to their actions and utilize different leadership styles in different situations. Leaders are ethical people and understand that there isn't always a single right answer and are able to make decisions based on their personal values. Leaders should be unbiased and should not quickly judge people based solely on their physical appearance (Gladwell).

This Week's Definition

Analysis

I have not made any changes to my definition this week. The readings were primarily about working effectively in team environments which is something that everyone should understand, not just leaders. The main takeaway I had this week was from the "Interacting in Teams and Groups" reading but it simply emphasized what I already knew. Leaders should be able to adjust their leadership style and tactics for each stage the group is in (forming, storming, norming, performing) which relates directly to the part of my definition about adjusting leadership styles to fit situations. Otherwise, these readings didn't make me think about what defines a leader quite as much as how to effectively understand team dynamics.

Komives, S. R., Lucas, N., & McMahon, T. R. (1998). "Interacting in Teams and Groups." Exploring Leadership: For college students who want to make a difference (pp. 165 - 194). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Yoon, S., & Johnson, S. (2008). Phases and patterns of group development in virtual learning teams. Educational Technology Research & Development, 56(5), 595-618. doi:10.1007/s11423-007-9078-x

March 31, 2012 Definition

Last Week's Definition
Leadership is the way in which an individual acts to influence others around him or her to produce results. Effective leaders should be able to match their personal vision to their actions (Lee & King, 2001) and utilize different leadership styles in different situations. Effective leaders are ethical people and understand that there isn't always a single right answer and are able to make decisions based on their personal values.

This Week's Definition

Analysis of Differences
I think that the readings this week about racism and sexism discussed good values for leaders to have but they are not things I would include in a high level definition of leadership. On the other hand, the Warren Harding Error is an important concept because of the idea of not prejudging people based on their appearances alone. I feel this concept does a good job of summing up all three readings into a single broad, yet concise point. Good leaders should be unbiased and accepting of all people's opinions and input, regardless of what they look like.

Gladwell, M. (2005). "The Warren Harding Error: Why we fall for tall, dark, and handsome men." Blink: The power of thinking without thinking (pp. 72 - 98). New York: Pushkin Enterprises.

March 10, 2012 Definition

Last Week's Definition

This Week's Definition

Analysis of Changes
Again, this week I didn't make a change to my definition of leadership. I feel that the concepts from the Heifetz and Linksy reading are important in the overall practice of leadership but don't really add anything to my definition. Leaders should be able to remove themselves from a situation to get a higher level view of what's going on and then immerse themselves in the action to help get things done when they clarify their role. To me, this is a more advanced aspect of leadership that, while still very important, isn't a critical part of my definition of leadership. The Kegan and Lahey reading provided an interesting contrast to StrengthsFinder and while I don't think it is valuable to focus on weaknesses, it is good to be aware of your "one big thing" so that you can understand why you make some decisions that you make.

Heifetz, R. A., & Linsky, M. (2002). "Get on the balcony." Leadership on the Line: Staying alive through the dangers of leading (pp. 51 - 74). Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Kegan, R., & Lahey, L. L. (2009). "Identifying Each Person's One Big Thing" (pp. 63 - 67). Boston: Harvard Business Press.

February 25, 2012 Definition

Last Week's Definition

This Week's Definition

Differences

I haven't made any changes to my definition of leadership from last week. I haven't experienced or learned anything that has significantly changed my view since last week.

Lee, R. J., & King, S. N. (2001). "Ground your leadership vision in a personal vision." Discovering the Leader in You: A guide to realizing your personal leadership potential (pp. 31 - 54). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, Inc.

Kidder, R. M. (2003). "Overview: The ethics of right vs. right." How Good People Make Tough Choices (pp. 13 - 29). New York: Simon & Schuster.

February 18, 2012 Definition

Last Week's Definition

Leadership is the way in which an individual acts to influence others around him or her to produce results. Effective leaders should be able to match their personal vision to their actions (Lee & King, 2001) and utilize different leadership styles in different situations.

This Week's Definition

Difference between last week and this week
This week I added a portion to emphasize the importance of ethical leadership. There isn't always only one right answer and it is important for leaders to be able to recognize that. Being able to make difficult decisions when neither is wrong is an important quality of leaders.

February 11, 2012 Definition

Last week's definition
Leadership is the way in which an individual acts to influence others around them to produce results. Effective leaders should be able to utilize different leadership styles in different situations.

This week's definition

Differences between this week and last week
The main difference between this week's definition and last week's definition is that this week I learned that leaders should outline their personal values and vision. Having a clear and defined path can help solidify how a leader should approach various situations.

Lee, R. J., & King, S. N. (2001). "Ground your leadership vision in a personal vision." San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, Inc.

February 3, 2012 Definition

Last week's definition:
Leadership is the way in which an individual acts to influence others around them. There are limitless ways or styles in which a person can lead.

This week's definition:

Analysis of the differences:
Two things changed about my definition. First I added an emphasis on producing results because being a good leader means influencing the outputs of a group in a positive way. A person isn't a very effective leader if they are not able to influence people to produce results. Second, I more specifically stated the importance of knowing when to use certain leadership styles based on the Goleman and Daniel (2000) article, "Leadership that Gets Results."

Goleman, Daniel (2000). "Leadership that Gets Results." Harvard Business Review, 78(2), 78-90.

Leadership Definition

Recent Comments

• Jude Higdon: Grade: 10 out of 10 Clarity of the new definition: read more
  • Jude Higdon: This isn't really an analysis; you need to demonstrate that read more
  • Jude Higdon: Nice job. Grade: 10 out of 10 Clarity of the read more
  • Jude Higdon: Very nicely done. Grade: 10 out of 10 Clarity of read more