Main | Countdown Begins »

Baby Steps (and Thesis implications)

I took a beginning running course this semester with Lois Eaton. (She's great. She gave me new running socks.) The point is, I've never pushed myself so hard in my life. Academics, I buckle down and do it. Athletics, no precedent, hard work, and a puny body. Since March 9th, that is, in seven weeks, I have gone from first day to 5K.

The hardest step was the first mile-run pretest. The second-hardest step would be the jump from two miles to three. Three miles was a long way. There was no 'staying within sight of home' or 'I know exactly how long this stretch should take me.' You can't find three miles in the Twin Cities free of hills or free of wind and rain. For this reason, three miles has been my torture, but I've been handling it as extensions over the first 1-1/2 miles. This is my thought process:
-I'm halfway, the second half should be easy!
-Two minutes later: If I can just get over this next hill, the rest will be easy!
-One minute later: I'm over the hill, now I just have to work until I can get to Moos Tower and the rest will be downhill!
-Five minutes later: I got past Moos, now I just have to keep kicking long enough to make it to Washington Ave...
(etc.)

...Baby goals.

So: I was running the other day, and realized this is the answer to the end-of-the-year blitz. I have a test on Monday, a tough math assignment due Tuesday I want to group-study for, and a screenplay due Tuesday in Geology? Take it one day at a time. After Tuesday, it'll be downhill.

The bad news is, I found out last week that my senior thesis will be due May 9th, and I have to present it on the 7th or 8th. So, I have a week and a half to write a 10-15 page thesis with proofs, a format I've never used before, which will be used to determine my eligibility for latin honors. And until Tuesday night, I'm just trying to get through the week.

TOUGH COOKIES, eh?

I have to set baby goals to get there. To write an executive summary of research, then pick through the details I need to know better, and just start writing/typing. Fast. Long. For a week-and-a-half straight. I am not looking forward to it, but it needs to get done.

Editing will be a step later than that.

I like this entry. Baby steps, that may just save me for the rest of the semester, and/or until December when I (hopefully) graduate.

After this paper, life will settle down. After this class, the day will be nice.

(BTW, received your wedding invite!! SO excited!)

I need to start running. That's actually rather inspirational, Rebecca.