Life at Uni

The picture upload still isn't working, so no pictures for now. Not really sure why it's not working, but every time I try and upload photos, my internet freezes....I'll try uploading them from school/the library later this week. I think it may just be a problem with the internet at my apartment complex.

Anyways, here's an update about my life at uni and how it's different from life at UMD.....

During my time here in Oz, I am studying at Griffith University--South Bank Campus (which is home to the Queensland College of Art). I am enrolled in 4 courses that all transfer credit towards my BFA in Graphic Design back at UMD. The 4 courses I'm in are as follows:

• Typographic Design--Tutorial (studio) on Mondays; Lecture Wednesdays

• Digital Print Design--Tutorial Thursdays

• Introduction to Jewellery and Small Objects--Tutorial Fridays

• Music in Contemporary Contexts--Lecture Mondays

It's now week 6 of coursework for me and the main difference that I've observed compared to back home is the way classes are structured. Class meets only once a week (unless it has a lecture portion) as opposed to MWF or TTH back home and there are only 2 major grading (marking) criteria per course (at least most of them are this way). At UMD there is a lot of more homework and little assignments that are graded and count towards your final mark. Here, your mark is based mainly on the results of your mid-point and final project/exam with the occasional extra smaller assessments along the way (ex. in typo, my final project is worth 50% of my overall mark). Being that I am in week 6 already, I would have expected to already have multiple assignments turned in, but that is not the case. I've only had one semi-major assignment due so far. I have to say it is a bit odd. Another difference between schoolwork here and back home is the fact that here, it is a lot more self-taught/ self-driven. I have found that the professors back home seem to be a lot more helpful about things if you have questions or need clarification...here, the professors seem to have the mindset that we should be able to figure it out on our own which is a bit unfortunate.

I don't really know what else to talk about in terms of school....I mean it's school, you get in a routine with your classes and not a whole lot changes week to week in terms of what is happening. I had planned on uploading pictures of the projects I've been working on, but since the uploading is not functioning properly at the moment, I guess that will just have to wait.

Cheers!