October 17th, 2012

Also known as one of the best days of my life.....let me (try to) explain:

First off, those of you who know me pretty well know that music is a huge part of my life and those of you who don't know me as well, now you know that. There is not much in the world I love as much as going to a concert, getting lost in the crowd, and just taking everything. Music is one of those things that has such a huge impact on me that it has the ability to completely turn my mood around. If I need to get away for a while, I'll throw on a record (yes I have a record player and collect music on vinyl) or put my headphones in and just slip away for a while. That all being said...seeing as I'm in Australia, one of the things I obviously wanted to do was to experience a concert in a different country. I've already told you all my plans to see Gotye right before I leave for home and my failed attempt to see Jimmy Buffett (still sad I missed out on that one). What I haven't told you (or at least I don't think I have) were my plans to see the one and only Mumford & Sons, one of my favorite bands of all time. This is a recap of how I came about getting a ticket / deciding to go to their concert(s) (yes plural).....

I found out they were doing an AU / NZ stopover tour during my time here...one of the dates being here in Brisbane, in an outdoor amphitheater which is part of the city botanic gardens. I was so excited to find this out and started saving money in order to go but it unfortunately sold out before I could get a ticket. Luckily, there was a second show two weeks later on the Gold Coast that wasn't sold out, so I got a ticket to that show instead. So there I was, all content and happy that I would be seeing Mumford & Sons in Australia, on Halloween, with some friends of mine. Then two days before the show here in Brisbane, I was able to get my hands on a discounted ticket for the show. Despite the fact I was seeing them in two weeks, I couldn't possibly pass up the opportunity to see one of my favorite bands play a show in the city I've been living in the past few months of my life, in the middle of a botanic gardens. So I bought the ticket and went and I don't regret one cent. It was honestly one of the best nights of my life.

Onto yesterday / last night.....

So about 2ish in the afternoon I decided to walk over into the city, stop by the farmers market to get some lunch (by that I mean delicious apples and fruit, mmmmm), and then head to the botanic gardens to just spend the afternoon sitting in a tree, listening to music and sketching. It was wonderful. Around 4.30ish, I headed closer to the entrance of the Riverstage, seeing as gates were at 5/5.30ish, and found a rock to lean against while I waited for the couple to show up that I was getting my ticket from. As I was sitting there, music to my ears started filling the air....Mumford & Sons started sound checking. I was filled with so much excitement just from hearing them play bits and pieces of songs, testing things out, and I couldn't wait for them to actually take the stage about 4 hours later. Fast forward to after they were done sound checking and what happened next makes me smile from ear to ear just re-living it in my mind.....a van drove out from the backstage area, with non other than Ben, Ted, Winston, and Marcus inside. They drove right past where I was sitting and waiting and waved / looked right at me as they drove past it. I basically died...not really, but the butterflies in my stomach were going like crazy. Fast forward again to once I was inside the gates...I quickly moved my way towards the front, ending up about 10 or so people back from the barricade. The two openers were both fantastic...Willy Mason was first and then Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros followed. "Home" by Edward Sharpe is such a freaking amazing song live....the energy from the crowd and how lively the band was (mind you there are 10+ of them on stage) made it such a great song to experience live.....

And then there was Mumford & Sons.

They took the stage right around 8.10 and played for an hour and 45 minutes. So basically it was an hour and 45 minutes of pure, exhilarating, music-filled, bliss. I was in heaven. It's really hard for me to fully describe my level of love for this band, seeing as I would end up just going on and on and on, gushing over all of their little quirks that make me love them so much. I basically love them so much it hurts. Not much can top Marcus' voice belting out their songs / him strumming the heck out of his guitar combined with Ted rocking out an upright bass and actually making it look cool, Winston and his awesome self on the banjo, and Ben and his radiant smile on the keys.

Instead of going on and on about how amazing last night was, especially seeing as I've already made this entry quite long, I'll leave you with some photos from the concert:

Mumford2.jpg
The massive crowd...this isn't even showing half of the crowd. There were a bunch more people to the right and left of the frame, as well as about double the size behind that white tent thing. The crowd was at least 8,000 people strong.

Mumford4.jpg
Marcus Mumford...aka the man with a voice that I could listen to forever.

Mumford7.jpg
Oh you know...typical Wednesday night in Brisbane, rocking out to Mumford & Sons

Mumford11.jpg
I can't get over how amazing last night was.

Mumford13.jpg
The set list of perfection.

Mumford1.jpg
The limited edition, lithograph poster I got (only 101 made and hand numbered by the band)

And that's all for now. Now it's time for me to hit the books (well technically not the books, more so the computer and my designing programs) and buckle down for these last two weeks of school....and then I'll get to end the semester in style with seeing these lovely gentlemen of the road again on Halloween. I'm excited.

Cheers!