Blog Post 1

The first four chapters of Weaving the Web, to me, were about Berners-Lee's idea of mashing together hypertext and the Internet and the struggles he had to go through to get people to notice his idea of an "unbound world" (p.34) He brought us into the world of CERN and the first program, Enquire, that started it all. This is not the typical book I would have chosen to read on my own, but Berners-Lee's persistence and dedication to create the World Wide Web kept me engaged throughout the first part of the book, like I was right there discovering it with him. I like that he writes in a very modest way, even though he is responsible for pretty much creating the technological future, and gives credit to many other scientist in his field, and keeps an informative tone. He sticks to one main goal throughout these chapters. Berners-Lee's main goal in these few chapters was summed up pretty well on page 20, "create a common base for communication while allowing each system to maintain its individuality." It would allow global communication, and essentially equal communication.

While reading Tubes, I felt that there was a lot of computer jargon that became pretty intricate, but while reading Weaving the Web, the technical terms were always backed up with examples that could make the content clear and appealing to a variety of readers. Another distinction I noticed between the two texts was Blum's persistence to find the physicality of the Internet and pin-point it on a map; while Berners-Lee's goal was expanding communication and making it seem more global. Similarly though, they bring our huge technological advancements to the basics, how it all started. I am interested to read how Berners-Lee continues to push through all the doubt, and instill the innovative idea of the internet into others minds, as we see it today.

I agree when you say that Berners-Lee writes in a modest way, I expected going into this reading that since he create the World Wide Web that this wouldn't be the case. He doesn't take all the credit just like you said, he gives credit to all the scientists in his field who helped contribute to it. The idea that he wants to allow global communication and equal communication, is in my mind exactly what he was going for. He wants everyone to have access to the Web and be able to use it for many purposes. As for Tubes, I again agree with you 100%, there was way too much jargon and it made the book cluttered and confusing I think. Berners-Lee does a much better job in making the transitions smoother and less confusing in this book than Blum did.