Information is Electric

As someone who get 99% of their news and information in digital format, I completely understand the point that Warnik is making the first three chapters of the book. The rise of user generated content and aggregation sites a la Huffington post has made it very easy to gather the information. Both me and Warnick agree that this is where the focus should be. She writes, "they should consider how the Web's affordances are shaped and applied by users to address social problems"(22). This is where the rubber meets the road for me. There have been plenty of pieces that have delved into many separate aspects of the web and information, but how quickly it has developed and been used to extend the "public sphere" father that ever before is something that I find the most interesting. I consider it this way, the only barrier one has between being a well-informed citizen and a stooge is their access to information. Part of this stems from their want of information, but it goes deeper than that.
As the use of web technology grows, so too will the new media. In fact if you have a camera on your phone I would go as far as to say that you are a budding photo journalist. Go out and take pictures of your environment. The good and the bad. By sharing them with the greater population, something might catch someone's eye and get shared and spread till it becomes and issue and people are educated on that issue. This is the ideal situation that I feel both me and Warnick lean towards where a idealized public both inform and spur themselves to betterment.