It's the people, stupid

Blum's wonder filled writing style does interesting things for different parts of his book. When he is handling something that his intended audience would probably also find interesting, like the people handling the "tubes", it works out quite well. On the opposite side, when he wanders into more technical terms like describing the size and shapes of server racks it tends to drag. The first subject, the people, is really the important theme to me in these chapters, and the book so far. From the basis of the network effect to the actual people working on the fiber optics, it's the people that make the internet. An example that pops into my head is the massive amount of fiber optic cabling that was laid during the dot com boom that now is considered "dark cable" because no one uses it. All of the "tubes" that Blum holds sacred mean nothing now because the people to give them life are not there. One of the other parts that I want to comment on was already hit on by another poster was Google. I knew that Google is really protective of its data, but I Blum might have made a mistake. I thought it was weird that they're data centers would be blacked off of Google Maps and Earth, considering the dust-up they had with Apple over transparency. So I checked, and I could find things labeled Google data centers, but I don't know if they are the data centers in question, or if someone in the public relations department jumped on it and. I guess what I am trying to get at is that all of this technology is just a frame work for the people using it. The tubes are only relevant if someone is using them much as the content of Google Earth is depending on the person regulating that.

Isn't this what Blum’s traveling around and asking questions is all about? To find "the tubes" and also the people who made this possible?

I mean Blum keep interviewing and meeting new people so he can talk to them about internet and this whole mapping of the tubes... Of course there are people behind this concept, why else would Blum be asking questions to people?

Well yes, And those are the points at which he is the strongest both in his writing and message. It's when he strays into the more tech side that the book starts to fall apart. Moreover, not only are there people behind the maintenance of the tubes, but this technology *needs* the constant input of users to even function at a basic level. That is the part of the internet I find the most intriguing, and I was sad that when the opportunity to address this appeared to Blum he didn't take it.