Weaving the web blog 1

For this blog post I am going to be completely honest about this book. I did not enjoy reading it and was struggling to process all the information. Don't get me wrong, the guy (Tim Berners-Lee) is a smart fellow and I do understand the impact he has had on the computer history as well as our own human/internet perception. However, the book to me just has a million abbreviations and as a non-computer person it was hard to pay attention. Here are some examples: CERN, VAX, RPC, TCP, IP, VMS, HTML, HTTP, FTPSGML, URI and the list keeps going. If it wasn't for this specific class I would most likely never have read this book. I do apologize for those of you that really like this book, but I am simply not that person.
I did like how people understand this book though and how they can see the same as the author. It is interesting to think that computer information can be somewhat the same of a human brain, by comparing the two. I don't think (and hope) that a computer will ever be so advanced that it would work exactly like the human brain, but do appreciate the opinion some of you had by saying they both have some sort of "web" function. The human brain = a tangled mess of information and a computer = has folders and files that have a more controlled web when it comes to finding certain folders.
The first test Mr. Tim does on his so-called Tangle in this book was asking the program a question (p. 13); how much wood would a woodchuck chuck? He claims that the programs thinks for a bit and gives him an answer that was the same as the question. Unfortunately this was just a mirrored answer and not really showing that the program (Tangle) was thinking on it's own or that it had a good way of sorting out the answer based on the information given. This was the end of Tangle, but the beginning of Tim's "desire to represent the connective aspect of information.
I guess it is interesting and impressive that this one person created the web, but it took him a long time to convince his co-workers and also people around him that this was truly an amazing idea. I might be the person that doesn't appreciate all this work behind the scenes yet, but I am impressed that one person came up with "the web".

I would have to agree with Cecilia about this book being very confusing to me. I do not know a lot about computers and their software so a lot of this book is like a foreign language to me. There are so many abbreviations that I can not seem to keep tract of them all. Obviously Tim Berners-Lee is a very smart guy, but this book in my mind is just not a book for the average non-computer tech person.

I agree with you on how profound it is that one person is behind the creation of the World Wide Web and that like in Tubes, we never really look at how these things were created. These things were just always there for us. I think it has really made me take a step back, and want to know more about the origin of the things we use everyday.

yeah. i can see how all these acronyms can get to be a little overwhelming. I feel like Berners-Lee made an effort to make this book friendly to non-techie people , but a)it's kinda difficult to be non-technical when you're talking about inventing the most complicated "thing" of our time. b) i feel like he sorta did that only to say that he did that , and he didn't really expect too many people to read this book who weren't already familiar with some the pieces of the internet. also, i remember he had an MIT education, both his parents were mathematicians (or professors) , and he spent a lot of his time working at the premier institution for science... so he might have not a mindful frame of thought when he wrote the book.