Networked

Pg 1: "She slammed her head on a rock and was knocked unconscious." This start of the book grabbed my attention right away. What happened? Will she be ok? Does she need to go to the hospital? All these were things that went through my mind when reading this. It was uncomfortable. However you know that she will be ok and you know that from what Peter tells you. He takes some pictures with his phone and emails this to his friends and family. His friends then forwarded this to another handful of people and within 36 hours, almost 150 people knew about his wife's accident. This is the authors' way of first explaining networks. I like how they grab your attention and then show the aftermath of it. If it wasn't for Peter taking a picture with his phone and send it to multiple people at the same time. It's fascinating how technology can help get the message out there and get people involved when you really think about it.

The book then goes on and on about different statistics on how people are dropping from groups and how technology and networking is becoming more important.

Pg. 38: "We may think we are free agents, but there are others whose presence in our networks and broader environments shapes the decision we make". I liked this particular quote because it made me think about it. I would agree and disagree with this statement. I would say the people around me shape my decisions for sure. I ask my friends about their opinion all the time and if I didn't I would consider myself a free agent. However it is my choice to hang around these people. Does this not make me a free agent?

After what we discussed in class that you sacrifice something to be a part of a group and that a network has undefined borders. I am still a little confused. I believe I belong to many groups and also have different network of people that I would associate with. It is hard for me to see a clear line between the two, because some of the people that are in my personal network are also in my groups. I did like the fact that networks have undefined borders and that is what I am homing this book will elaborate more for me. So far chapter 2 is doing a good job trying.

The advancements of technology and networking are becoming a major advantage for our society. I too felt that the initial story about Peter’s sharing of his wife’s accident via email over his mobile phone was a great example to truly show how networking has evolved and how it has enabled users to communicate with one another at extremely fast rates. I like the statement on page 6 where some people believe that the internet is “killing society.” I think it is ridiculous how some individuals feel that the evolution of networking through technology is harmful to our lives. The internet and networking sites have made it possible for people to connect practically whenever and wherever they desire. It does not take away or isolate our society, instead it has amplified our society to be networked individuals. The authors of this book describes networked individualism as an “operating system”. This meaning can be understood as the ways in which people connect, communicate, and exchange information (7). This networking system has created a powerful use of technology and has allowed our society to undergo a positive social change.