We Are Anonymous Blog Post

Reading this book has completely blown my mind away. I'm not going to lie; I have been very naïve as to what I thought other individuals could do with the information one has shared on the Internet. After reading the first half of this book, I have already become extremely conscious of what I think is appropriate to share online. It is important for people to be mindful of what they share and to know their information is never entirely private or secure. This book has made me aware of how powerful some Internet users are.
In chapter nine, The Revolutionary, it reveals Monsegur's (Sabu) history and how he became an Anonymous veteran. In the beginning of the chapter, it explains Monsegur's childhood and how his interest in hacktivism arose. On page 135, a quote from the "The Hacker's Manifesto," written by Lloyd Blankenship said, "My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for." This line is what made Monsegur the person he is today. He enjoyed the idea challenging authority members. Growing up as a child, he felt disrespected and misunderstood by many authoritative individuals that surrounded him. Monsegur expressed that, "online he could live out his ambitions and avoid the disrespect he felt from figures of authority" (137). When "Sabu" was created in the Anonymous chat rooms, Monsegur's hacking routine quickly developed. He eventually was able to shut down entire systems and create a stir among large regions.
What I thought was extremely disturbing was the fact that he was able to use another Internet users computer to hack Tunisia's government because of their aggressive Internet censoring of its citizens. Although this individual volunteered to be his proxy into Tunisia's Internet, it was evident that Monsegur used him to boost his own self-image. He wanted to make a big impact and would do anything he could do achieve it. On page 139, he states, "We humans suffer from egos." This statement was proved true when Monsegur said he did not feel guilty after his volunteer was arrested. It was a mission he desired to complete and he did not let anything prevent that from happening or feeling satisfied about his accomplishments.

Jackie, I agree with you in that this book keeps me in awe of the capabilities of the Internet. The author does a good job at recalling each Anonymous character's childhood and on. He focuses on their motivations and why they have hidden behind this virtual world. It is interesting to see where their motives grow from and how they eventually reach no limits. It consumes them and becomes a sort of high and addiction.