« Speed of eating maybe 'key to obesity' | Main | Workplace Interventions »

Smart Choices Labeling on Food Products

28food-inline1-190.jpg

Some of the nation’s largest food and beverage companies have agreed to accept common nutritional standards and to use the same logo on their packages to denote the products that qualify. The “Smart Choices Program,? as it is called, is expected to be in stores in the middle of next summer.

Products that fit with the program’s nutritional guidelines will have the Smart Choices logo, which is a check mark on the front of the package with the amount of calories per serving and the number of servings in the package.

Coca-Cola, ConAgra Foods, General Mills, Kellogg, Kraft Foods, PepsiCo, Unilever and Wal-Mart are some of the companies who are participating in this program.

Some food companies have already created logos to help consumers pick more nutritious products, but they were too weak.

The nutrition standards for the Smart Choices Program are based on the federal government’s dietary guidelines.

I think this a really good step forward to help people make difficult choices at the grocery store. Having a quick symbol and universal standard will allow people to make their choices easier and healthier. I know I have been at the grocery store and looked at two items and say to myself do I get this one which is reduced fat or do I get this one which is whole grain. Hopefully this labeling will allow people to make healthier choices when it comes to nutrition.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/business/28food.html?ref=fitnessandnutrition

Kudos to these major food manufacturers for developing the Smart Choices program. I feel like I see it everywhere!

It's very smart marketing, as they're creating a sub-category within the healthy food market. It also makes the choices easier for the consumer, creating a win win for everyone!

This was a necessary step towards reducing the obesity trends.