Teachers

My favorite teacher would have to be my choir director. I had him for four years so we got to know each other pretty well by the time I graduated. He was the type of guy who everyone could joke around and laugh with, which everyone enjoyed. He also knew a lot about music and most of all how to direct a choir. He was one teacher in who I and many other kids felt really comfortable around, and could talk to him about any issues that you had. He was genuinely concerned about his students. That would have to be my favorite teacher, so far.

Who is one of your favorite teachers so far?

Posted by at at 11:25 AM

What to know about college

What to know about college:
The college life is much different and is a big change from life at home. You're out on your own, and have to push yourself to do well, because this is when it counts. You don't have your mom to push you out of bed and tell you to go to school. You have to motivate yourself. One thing I like most about college, is that your days go by very fast, especially since you are not in school 7 hrs. each day. It's nice to have those breaks in between classes so you're not always on the go, and having to sit in a class for hours at a time.

Posted by at at 11:21 AM

Hello Lincoln Students!

Hi everyone! My name is Kayce and there are some things that I would like you to know about myself. I'm from the town on New Ulm here in Minnesota. I have lived there all my life, up until this year to attend the University of Minnesota in Minneaopolis. I'm not exactly sure on what I want to become one day, but I am looking towards becoming a pediatrician, because I love working with children. In my spare time I love to hang out with my friends, listen to music, occasionally draw, and workout. I also enjoy playing piano, but haven't had the time since I've moved. I currently have a job as a tutor teaching children reading in both English and Spanish, but before this job I worked at a nursing home in New Ulm.

And now some questions for you!

1. What do you like to do in your spare time?

2. What kind of job would you like to have in your future?

3. What's one thing you would like to accomplish in life?

4. What do you love most about school?

5. What do you like least about school?

Posted by at at 2:50 PM

Revision groups

Meeting with revision groups is a great thing to do during the process of writing an essay. It's so much easier to see mistakes in another persons' writing than in your own. When we met with our revision groups this week, I walked out knowing what I had to change about my paper. For one, I need more facts istead of writing opinions, which I tended to do a lot of. When I write a paper, especially the 1st rough draft, I just write what comes to my mind, and don't focus on the little things that are needed. My group member definately made me realize what needed to be fixed.

Posted by at at 2:26 PM

Difference between schools

The first and most obvious difference between Lincoln school to the one that I went to is the number of those in poverty. Growing up I attended New Ulm Public, which mostly consisted of kids living in a middle class family. The average family income was around $51, 000 compared to the $14,600 in the Willard-Hay neighborhood. It was very rare if a kid didn't own a computer at home. Most kids could afford to buy everything they needed to have in school, including things they didn't necessarily need as well. The percentage of families below poverty level in New Ulm, MN is 4.6% compared to a much higher percentage of 26.8% in Willard Hay neighborhood. Most kids going to school at Lincoln have not had the opportunity to own computers in their households growing up, and have a much harder time buying simple school supplies, in which than those who went to my school could easily get. The free or reduced luch rate is at 93% who go to school at Lincoln. Where I went to school almost every kid paid for their own meals throughout the school year, and had no problem doing so. These factors have a large effect on students. It's much harder to have a decent education if the money just isn't there for you. Living in poverty also effects the student emotionally with how they learn. If there are problems at home with money, it is likely that you will carry those problems wherever you will go such as school.

Posted by at at 11:53 AM

This Week In Class

This week in class we went over learning how and when to cite in MLA format. I've written about a handful of papers doing this already, but for some reason it seemed so much more difficult for some reason. I don't think that it's too hard to understand and get the hang of, but it just seems to go into so much detail, and I hate having to figure out all of those details when trying to cite. I guess I didn't realize how picky you have to be when citing, and how much time you have to put into it, since there are so many different ways to do it depending on what type of source you are using. I guess I don't have a specific question or problem, but I just think it will take a little bit to get used to and to get comfortable with. Overall, this is probably my least favorite thing thus far that we've done in class.

Posted by at at 9:47 PM

Sherman A. and LaRhonda

In Superman and Me Sherman Alexie as a Spokane Indian boy who wasn't very well off. With the help of his father's influence in getting him to read comic books, he showed himself how to read. He took great pride in this, but he also had a battle in expressing this knowledge, because he felt he had to play the role of a stupid Indian infront of non-Indians. He was expected to fail, but he refused to do so. This also compares to LaRhonda, who is an African American, who isn't too well off either. She felt the pressure to do bad in school to protect her image to others within her culture, but like Sherman she was inspired by something. Actually, her inspiration came from a guy she knew who in school succeeded, but yet maintained his image that he felt he had to show to his peers by selling drugs. From this, LaRhonda was driven to be able to balance everything and have both a good education and the image that she felt she had to fill. Both LaRhonda and Sherman had battles within their cultures to be a certain way, but they were both inspired to do well in their education, and made it an important part of their life despite their upbringings.

Posted by at at 9:24 PM

O Muse! You Do Make Things Difficult!

What part was most interesting to me:
The part that was most interesting to me while reading this piece was the very first paragraph. When it mentioned how Dame Edith Sitwell would lie in a coffin before writing caught my attention very quickly. It is so bizarre that someone would do that, and it makes you wonder why someone would do that, and how that could possibly make them write better. I guess some people need to go to drastic measures in order to spark their creativity, but hearing this way of doing it was very interesting to read about.

Posted by at at 11:47 AM

What I Like Most About Class

What I like the most about class so far is the revision groups. While working on our essays, I find that it's less stressful when you have others helping you with your writing and giving you input. What my group members saw in my work, I probably would never have caught. From listening what they have to say about my essay, they help me come up with better ideas with how I could make it better. Talking about each of the group members essays you can also feel more confident in how you write from them telling you what they think your strengths are also.

Posted by at at 11:38 AM

My reaction to student essay

After reading Danielle Williams essay, I found good and bad points to it. What I liked most about her essay was that it was very easy to read even though she went in depth with her experience in her IB English 1 class. She went into specific tasks within the class that ultimately strenthened her writing and reading abilities.
I guess the only thing that I didn't like about the essay was that it wasn't very interesting to read. Even though she explained her experience very well, it didn't seem to keep my attention. The only other spots where I saw some problems were small gramatical errors within the writing. Otherwise, I thought Danielle's essay was quite good.

Posted by at at 11:24 AM