structural transformation

Here are a couple of slides that ask a few questions I currently have about the Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere. Neither is all that impressive or well thought out, but it was what has been going through my mind after leaving class and talking a little bit with my classmates.

The first relates to questions concerning scale and expectations (what I'm calling the ideas for now).

View image

The second is more random, but perhaps related to teahouses and empowerment in general.

View image

public spherics

This is one of the little graphics I drew up in class (and made at home on powerpoint) related to what people might expect from the public sphere, and how this might play out (from an overly simplified perspective). Of note, I obviously am not describing the overall structural changes of the public sphere (how public and private law/spheres/opinion get mixed around), nor am I approximating how bureaucratization, corporatization, and organization have changed the structure of our society, and particularly the power structures that influence how the public sphere can influence decisions of policy (being politically empowered).

I simplify things down and give two time periods: 1700 and 2000. In each, I show what people expect of the public sphere and its empowered nature, along with what appears when we examine the actual case. In 2000, I argue that people expect more people to participate in the public spheres (because anyone can, based on larger understandings of citizenship, etc). But the pressures and problems of current institutions and norms force the size/number of public spheres to be smaller, and less powerful, perhaps nonexistent, or disconnected. This gets translated into civic apathy and cynicism because even though people may have the right to vote, speak, and assemble, they don't feel like they have the power to affect change in a way that is meaningful to them.

As always, I don't think that I'm saying all that much interesting, so please comment and critique this view (and my silly little picture).

View image