« Story Idea #3 | Main | Torandoes in New Mexico »

Gophers hire Tubby Smith

The Minnesota Gopher Men's basketball team finally hired a coach. After four months with Jim Molinari as the interim head coach, it was announced Thursday that Tubby Smith was hired. Tubby Smith has spent the last ten years as head coach at Kentucky. He had great success there winning a national title as well as making it to 10 straight NCAA tournaments. The Gophers have only been in the NCAA tournament once in the past five years.

The Star Tribune handled this news story with a lengthy article which is appropriate for news as significant as this. The headline reads "Gophers hire instant credibility with Tubby Smith." I think this headline is too opinionated as there are lots of people who would not think that hiring Smith leads to any kind of credibility. overall the article is detailed and covers the many different facets into this hire.
http://www.startribune.com/512/story/1072981.html

The AP also covered this story. I read it on the South Carolina online newspaper The State. This article came out the day after the official announcement was made. As would be expected, the article from out of state is not nearly in depth as the local one. They however handle it with more objectiveness than the Tribune did. The article covers the basics and gets the details across in proper pyramid style.

This is a good example of how a new story can be handled very differently. The Minnesota sports media did what they usually do in print, not show very much objectiveness. The AP handled it more like a news story and only gave the details without showing the very obvious bias.

I can't believe they hired Tubby Smith.. that is crazy.

-Jason

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and net and this is really frustrating. A good web site with interesting content, that's what I need. Thanks for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.

Sorry for the huge review, but I'm really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it's the right choice for you.