October 25, 2007

Meeting Minutes 10/25/2007

  • Still collecting content.
  • Need to meet with By Design on the mailer.
  • Need to get website started.

October 4, 2007

Meeting Minutes 10/04/2007

  • Jeremy (By Design) is working on an advertizing mailer for us.
  • October is official "push content forward" month:

    • We need to bug our authors.
    • We need to get our content in.
    • David and I went through the content list and it's looking good.
    • Article deadline is Oct. 22nd.

September 13, 2007

Meeting Minutes 09/13/2007

Attending: Aaron, David

On the front burner:

  • Content!!!
  • Mailer soliciting advertisers

    • Mailing list and mailing resources
    • Design - ByDesign
    • Postcard?
    • Soon!!!

On the back burner:

  • Website
  • Sales at Dean's office
  • Issue 5 - needs to get started... in a small way
  • Meeting with Tom
  • Discuss credit with Steve

August 28, 2007

Meeting Minutes 08/28/2007

Attending: Aaron

Beginning of school year logistics:

  • Select new time and place (probably 225 Rapson) to meet. Aaron sent out an email requesting people's availability.
  • Announcements need to be made at:

    • Architecture kick-off
    • Landscape Architecture kick-off
    • DHA kick-off (if such a thing exists)
  • Post flyers around Rapson and McNeal soliciting participation from grad students.

Advertising:

  • Send solicitations to firms. Aaron is still waiting to hear about a possible mailing list from the college.

August 21, 2007

Meeting Minutes 08/21/2007

Attending: Aaron, Angie, Scott

Content we have:

  • Wolbert, Define the Freedom You Design
  • Spatial Information Design Lab, Architecture + Justice
  • Boylston, Prison Nation
  • Multiple Authors (2 pieces?), Design Democracy
  • Dr. Huang, Interactive Use and Management of the inter-Korean Borderland
  • Sudheimer, Plan Free or Die
  • Miller, After 9/11

Advertising:

  • Angie will write up a letter to be sent out to potential advertisers
  • Aaron will find out if the department has a mailing list we can use

For the beginning of the school year:

  • Make announcements at arch., land. arch., and DHA kick-off events
  • Post fliers to recruit participants and content
  • Select a meeting time and place (Aaron)

August 7, 2007

Meeting Minutes 08/07/2007

Attending: Aaron, David, Scott

  • Where are all our people?

July 31, 2007

Meeting Minutes 07/31/2007

Attending: Aaron, David, Scott

  • Juan sent a finished article from his contact in Korea on the Korean borderland.
  • David mentioned a Design Institute project (circa 2001?) on voting and voting technology. He will contact the institute to see if there's anything we can get.
  • Scott will try contacting a former CALA faculty member who shall remain nameless.
  • Still working on finding architects who are also politicians...
  • Thomas Jefferson?
  • Julia Robinson's connection at Deflt, or Rhea ? who visited last year on squating/urban planning in the Netherlands?

July 24, 2007

Meeting Minutes 07/24/2007

Attending: Aaron, David, Scott, Sarah Steil

  • Sarah (By Design) talked with us about time line, initial divisions, graphic content, advertising, etc. She would like to meet once again before school starts to get a better idea of schedule.
  • Sarah will look at the advertisements that David made and offer some critique and alternatives.

July 17, 2007

Meeting Minutes 07/17/2007

Attending: Aaron, David, Scott, Angie

  • Aaron heard back from one of the late submissions (on the Prison Nation exhibit) and it's a go.
  • Aaron will check in with the Dean's office to make sure sales are working.
  • We went through the content list and gave updates.

July 10, 2007

Meeting Minutes 07/10/2007

Attending: Aaron, Scott, David

  • There were two new submissions in the there emailbox. Aaron passed around the print-outs. One submission about a graphic design exhibition about incarceration seemed like a promising one. The seems less promising. Aaron will contact both authors to find out more.

  • Aaron is in the process of getting a new website started.

July 3, 2007

Meeting Minutes 07/03/2007

Attending: Aaron, David, Scott, Kate

Discussion:

  • A good discussion of the Design Democracy interview/article. What's democratic about design?

  • David has a draft of a letter to David Orr, author of Nature's Operating Instructions.

June 26, 2007

Meeting Minutes 06/26/2007

Attending: Aaron, Katie, David, Angie, Kate

  • Kate brought in a couple of examples of academic journals with advertising sections: The Moving Image and Cultural Critique
  • Content List:

    • Intellectual Property Rights: Architecture and Lessons from the Open Source World – Aaron W - Aaron is starting on this, talking to some folks thinking about it.
    • After 9/11 – Christine Miller - We have this, Kate will secure permissions.
    • Plan Free or Die: Arming the Average Citizen from the Skills of the Architect – Sonja Sudheimer - David has this one.
    • Public Services in America: Affordable Housing for All – Sarah Wolbert - Angie talked to her, we should hear back.
    • Designer Graffiti (from thesis) – Don Vu - David will email.
    • Memorial for a City (from thesis) - Tamer - David will email.
    • Public Spaces – Rachael Iannacone (Katie Hammond to inquire) - Rachel's going to send a few names of potential contributors.
    • Design Democracy: Targets vision of design - DD founder from Target (David M organizing) - David needs to write questions...
    • Summary of First Design Democracy Fellowship – 5 Finalists (David M has 4.5 of 5) - A montage of all of the essays: some words, some text for each.
    • Security and Access - Katie will check in.
    • Surveillance – Kate Gehron? - Changed to public art and space. Working.
    • Suburbia and Choice: Finding Expression in a Cookie Cutter World – David M - David is focusing on David Orr, or related topics. We should hang on to this. On Aaron's plate now.
    • Subverting Zoning: Oakland Development – Mike Pytok (Scott) - Aaron will check in. Merged with illicit space article.
    • Imprisonment of Nature: The Right for all Organisms to Exist - Andrea
    • Biloxi – Ozayr Salojee - Aaron will email.
    • Illicit Space – Scott - Aaron will check in.
    • Urban Exploration – Ross (Katie Hammond to interview/get pictures?) - Andrea
    • Gender Based Space - Katie - Where to go with this? Katie will talk to someone she knows about this.
    • Freedom and Boundaries: When Everything is Allowed -
    • Freedom of Expression: The Graphic Designer’s medium – DHA?
    • Housing as a Right. – Affordable housing symposium?
    • Freedom of the Designer: Vocation vs. Profession – Angie Boersma
    • The Elite and Design for Everyone
    • David Orr - David will try to contact
    • Affordable Housing - David will try to get info from recent conference or DHA.
    • What about the legality of design practice?

June 19, 2007

Meeting Minutes 06/19/2007

Attending: Aaron, Katie, Angie, David

Advertising:

  • David has retrieved details on AIA-MN's advertising rates. $540 base rate for 1/3 of a page. What are the issues? Conflict of interest? Is it an academic journal if it contains advertising?

Author agreement:

  • We need one. David wrote up a draft. Copyright is a question. Creative Commons options?

Design Democracy:

  • Last year's winners are willing to do a Q & A.

Strategic plan:

  • Need a survey of architectural/design publications, regionally and nationally. Include academic journals, magazines, etc. Where do we fit? Who are we most similar to? What differentiates us from the rest?
  • Strengths and opportunitues / Weaknesses and roadblocks
  • What are the copyright issues?
  • What are other regulatory issues?
  • How do we fit in the U? What are the content restrictions? What are other restrictions?
  • Position descriptions.
  • Curriculum plan, how to fit with accreditation needs, credits, etc.
  • Marketing and sales strategies. Money from direct sales, advertising dollars, customer list...
  • Full schedule for each year: hard and soft deadlines.
  • Finances: break-even plan, profit plan.
  • A list of students, donors, and others involved in the past.
  • Professional consultant.

Meeting Minutes 6/12/07

In attendance: David, Scott, Kate, Katie

Advertising discussion continued from last week with Tom. Pros: journal could be free, wider circulation, larger budget, self sustaining. Cons: more magazine-like and commercial than academic, freedom of content cant be compromised. Format: ads placed together in back, firm directory similar to the Architecture Minnesota listings. Other income options: grants and sponsorship, although these require a clear strategic plan

Credit for staff members discussed. Currently a one credit class taken 3 times, ideal is a 3 credit class taken twice. The main obstacle is accreditation, so we should check how other schools deal with this and write up how it fits.

Discussion on how to increase submissions, focusing on the next issue. Once theme is determined (same as CDES theme?), we should create a poster call for firms explaining the mission statement. Also a standard letter could be mass mailed to potential writers. We also discussed the option of payment for submissions.

June 5, 2007

Meeting Minutes 06/05/2007

Attending: Scott, Aaron, Angie, Kate, Tom Fisher

Old Business:

  • We have the authorization form essentially complete for sales.

Meeting with Dean Fisher:

  • Laura Weber (communications, editing) and Jean Schott (graphic design) work for the college, we should use their skills.
  • Faculty advising: Could tie into the yearly "theme" of the college. Get help from the theme committee: Kristine Miller, John Comazzi, [graphic design faculty]. Content will be more plentiful when the
  • Continue to reach out to DHA, especially fashion and graphic design seniors. Kate Maple is the one to contact for contact lists. Talk to student groups (ASID, AIGA, etc.)
  • Advertise in Architecture Minnesota (Chris Hudson)? Arch. Record? AIA-MN Convention?
  • Ask firms to buy space to subsidize issues (free to students)? (Tax deductable, inexpensive, lots of exposure) Contact firms with Minnesota alumni in high level positions for sponsorship.