Main | October 2006 »

September 28, 2006

Minutes 09/28/2006

I'm sitting here with David alone in room 225. We're talking about topics:

  • Dave brings up design education. What's the evolution, history? How is design education now different than 10, 20, 30, 100 years ago? Is it better? Are designers more or less satisfied now vs. then?
  • What if we did an education survey of people that graduated from CALA through the years? How does satisfaction, money, built projects, career, etc. compare across time?
  • Sonja comes in and mentions that there is a lot potential for wordplay with the word "four". Perhaps an issue an design grammar?
  • Sonja leaves and we're back on education. David says maybe a sort of student's guide to design education would work. Exposing the inner workings of the education process, over time, etc.
  • We need to invite Tom Fisher to a meeting once we've got a few topics to talk through.
  • Do we need to consider a theme for the journal (across all issues)? i.e. a consistent theme, a narrowing of our scope. Would this help build a loyal readership? Or is it alright to have each issue different than the last? Does the journal need a perspective, an attitude.
  • How about an issue on student work? (Like a yearbook.) Is this t/here or is it a totally different publication? Or is it half and half? Writing on one side... flip it over to see student work... there/here.

Logistics

  • We need to revise the mission statement.
  • Figure out who's receiving the there@umn.edu email.
  • Changing the name of the journal?
  • Should we even be printing this thing?
  • Different distribution methods: print-on-demand, having the U bookstore sell it (on shelves, online), PDF / electronic version (a must).

September 23, 2006

Notes from Saturday's Big Edit Ho-down

Here are some things from the issue 3 "Big Edit Ho-down" that apply to our duties for issue 4:

  • We should try to check out Room 225 for our meetings. I'll look into this.
  • We need a standard way of passing along information to the next issue. Folks were talking about getting an external hard drive and/or appointing someone to pass along both the digital and oral data that is accumulated during the making of an issue.
  • We need a large rubber stamp, with red ink, that reads "SHITCANNED".
  • We should get first year students involved with the journal right away. These folks could be involved in selling issue 3 and inputting ideas for issue 4. The thinking here is that if people get involved early, they'll be more committed to the journal over the course of the three years. If first year students take on sales, this will also take some pressure off third year students, who are working on thesis.
  • We should have a big reception-type event at which we release issue 3. This would be a good place to sell a lot of copies.

September 16, 2006

Issue 4 - Topics

Please leave your topic ideas here in the form of comments. Anything goes, especially at this early stage in the development of this next issue of the journal.

September 15, 2006

t/here editorial roster

These are the folks who are involved in the creation of issue 4. I will be editing this list as it changes so it can act as a reference for all of us. If you're not on the list, let me know. This is everybody who has expressed even the slightest interest in helping out with issue 4 (i.e. everyone who should get email, etc.). Alpha by last name.

* Angela Boersma, boer0091
* Ryan Connolly, conn0051
* Brian Fewell, fewel003
* Kate Gehron, gehro007
* Della Hansmann, hans2463
* Andrea McKay, mckay108
* David McWilliams, mcwi0012
* Kristin Raab, raab0002
* Aaron Squadroni, squad001
* Bernt Stenberg, sten0329
* Aaron Westre, westr015

(The at umn.edu portion of email addresses is redacted here for anti-spam purposes.)

September 14, 2006

Fall 2006 Meeting Time

The planning meetings for issue 4 of the student journal will be:

Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
in Rapson Hall Room 245 (east end, Yoos Studio)

I will post minutes of each meeting to this blog, so that we have a running record of our discussions.

Meeting Minutes 9/14/06

  • Picking a topic
  • Who do we send the call for submission to? Who do we want involved in this next issue?
  • How far should the journal be pushed? Is this a question of resources: money, time (credit), staff?
  • We should talk to faculty (Fisher, Ferguson, Iannacone) to see if we can leverage work that is already being done. Have them look for current or past papers that may fit our topic. Ryan and Della will work on this.
  • We should talk to TAs as well.
  • Everyone that wants to should register for one credit of directed study.
  • We should get a rolling pin-up board, so we have a "space" that's somewhat permanent. Aaron will work on this.
  • We will meet every thursday at 10am in Rapson 245 (Yoos Studio).

September 3, 2006

Weekly meeting time for Fall 2006

We need a time to meet this semester. Leave comments with your preferred time, and I'll tabulate the results. Thanks.

t/here administrative blog

This is the blog. We can use it to brainstorm, pass along news, post meeting times and minutes, make fun of each other, etc., etc., etc. If you need to be added to the list of authors or have questions about how to post entries or you just need a shoulder to cry on, contact Aaron Westre (westr015@umn.edu.