Main | April 2004 »

Arrgghh No, not the tulips!

So, we had a leak in the main sewer line. Needless to say, access to the line was in the tulip bed...This is what it looked like after we'd rescued almost all of the bulbs, but before the backhoe...sigh.
Tulips 001.jpg

Little Itty Bitty Fog

Many entries will probably cover weather b/c MN has just the most amazing variety. Saw something novel on Thursday: little fog clouds. About 4' high and 3' wide. Never been taller than the fog before.

Springtime in Minnesota

This is spring in Minnesota:

6pm Weds. 3/24/04: I leave work and see barefoot frisbee in 66° weather.

10pm same night: Local news reports that the local governments want everyone to remember that it's no longer safe to go out on the ice on local lakes.

(Why anyone would think it *was* safe when it's 30 degrees above freezing remains unanswered, as does the question of whether warning someone not to do something so obviously stupid is likely to help.)

Obligatory Pet Pictures

These photos were taken on the same day at the same time and pretty much say all there is to know about how Trillian and Eddie get along.

This is Trillian, my cat. She picked me out in 1995 at a shelter in Seattle, WA.
That's my Trillian!

This is Eddie, Barney's cat. Eddie adopted Barney about 10 years ago.
Eddie Peterson

Whose blog is this?

My name is Amy West. I'm a librarian at the University and specialize in government statistical information. I'm about to start working at the Minnesota Population Center for a year as part of a project to make Census statstistics available via the web. I'm very excited about this project.

In many ways I'm the stereotypical librarian: kinda...ok, very, geeky, got the glasses, cats, heck, even the bun when my hair's long enough. I wouldn't be married if it hadn't been for data camp and I love science fiction and fantasy.

The second head and third arm on the other hand...

My husband is Barney Peterson, a devout wargamer and partner at Fingerprints, a screen printing firm. We met through his sister, also a government info. librarian, in 2000 and got married a year later.

Before I came to MN in 1999, I was born in AL, grew up in VA, went back to AL for high school, MA for college and WA for grad school. Still getting used to the lack of hills in MN, but enjoying the chance to explore the middle of the country.

My biological family are almost all in AL and my non-biological-but-love-them-just-as-much family are mostly in Puget Sound.