« February 2007 | Main | May 2007 »

Anemic Anemone / Weeds

Six, maybe seven folks (e.g. everyone who looks at this blog) have been teasing me about how I started off last year's gardening and then stopped. Yeah, well. I am developing a serious hatred of our back yard. No matter what I do, no matter how thorough the weeding, deep the mulch, etc. I still get the same @#%!#$ weeds in the same places and quantities and after six years, I'm losing patience. The worst are the buckthorn saplings. They have to be pulled individually. Even with gloves on with grips, they still sometimes just lose their outer coating and then have to be dug up. Fine. Except that they usually grow right in the plants I want to keep. Adequate weeding usually equals excessive loss of what I want.

Point in case: planted 30 anemone. In 2005, 8 plants, 3 blooms. Can't remember 2006. 2007, 4, maybe 5 plants, 3 blooms and all surrounded by the @#$!@# buckthorns and some unremovable broadleaf weed. Anemone are supposed to naturalize and spread. They, like nearly everything else I plant within a 10-15' radius of the tree, fail to perform to expectations and I'm just so very tired of it. I told Barney I was going to pulll up everything in the back I cared about and put it in the front. Then, all the sod in the front that would have be dug up could be put in the back and it would just be a yard. He says he likes the beds in the back and will help me weed and mulch. We'll see how he feels at the end of the summer...

weeds.jpg

Fritillaria assyriaca

I bought & planted this in 2004. 2005, nothing. 2006 one bud, sliced off its stem by one of the furry individuals haunting our yard. 2007, a flower, finally! Of course, there's just the one from a 10 bulb pack. At least some of the other buds are still producing leaves, but I think there were many duds. I'm bummed though because, so far, it doesn't look like the image on the package. The ends aren't turned up and it's much lighter purple. Maybe it'll still get there. Also, while there is some grass in the background, most of it is garlic chives, which started as one plant about 5 years ago. Be warned...
fritillaria.jpg

Pulsatilla Vulgaris - getting ahead of itself

I've got two of these in different colors. This maroon one is in the back yard in a sunnier spot (apparently) than the deep purple in the front. It's about 4" high, but blooming like crazy already. Woo hoo. They each get bigger and bigger each year. Need to look into division...

pulsitillamaroon07.jpg

Socks for my Dad

Pattern: Nancy Lindberg's Knit to Fit Ankle or Calf Socks
Needles: 6 & 7 dpns
Yarn: Patons SWS (30% soy, 70% wool) "Natural Earth" (70013)
Unexpected: my Dad tells me that these socks are the same colors as a type of camoflage fishing line sold in his youth. Camo fishing line? Really? Apparently, camo fishing line is still used extensively. I don't know; they're fish, they're not that smart...seems like overkill.
Type of sock: hiking or for big boots like Dr. Martens. VERY warm.

Cat for scale :)
daddysocks.jpg

Spring in Minnesota - 4/12/07

Next day; actually above freezing and sunny, sunny, sunny...

dwarfiris07.jpg

and

2007crocus.jpg

Spring in Minnesota - 4/11/07

These are some tough plants...bloomed after a week of single digit winds and under snow...

mnspring.jpg

Our one big snow from 3/1/07

Still love the new camera - it caught snow falling!

bigsnow2.jpg

Started and then hopefully just slowed down by artic cold

sigh. On 3/29/07, the first dwarf iris bloomed - I was so excited. Then I saw that the Puschkinia Libanotica were coming up this year - they didn't do much last year and I got *really* excited. Then, it was supposed to snow. Ok. No problem. These plants can handle temps in the 20s. Got up the next morning and it was 17 with a wind chill of 1. Arrgghhh. 'Course I didn't cover anything. It's been so horribly cold ever since I just figured, well, if they make it, they make it. I'm too annoyed to go outside. The crocuses have so far survived and there *may* be some hyacinths. I planted them years ago and they never bloomed, but I"ve got my fingers crossed and a brand new camera...

In progress

In progress are a pair of socks for me, a sweater for Barney, a shawl/scarf for me and a gift for someone. I've finished two other gifts (haven't given them yet). Next on the docket are felted bike bags, a pair of socks for Barney and a cardigan and tank for me.

Karen's Scarf

I made this scarf for my mother-in-law, but couldn't get a good shot of it - it's much prettier than it looks here:

karenscarf.jpg

Yarn: Trendsetter Yarns in Dune (mohair/viscose/metal); ~ 2 skeins (180 yards)
Pattern: Eve's Rib
Needles: 11 straights