Manar Gad (Blog Post 5)- Modernity and Postmodernity

According to introduction to Part IX, what is the fundamental difference between modernist and postmodernist theories?

The fundamental difference between modernism and postmodernism is stated as: "While modernism laments the fragmentary and the chaotic, postmodernism accepts, and even valorizes it" in the text (412). From my understanding, according to postmodernism they see things as no absolute truth. Like for example, for "language" they see it as it creates "reality". "Reality" in postmodernists view is seen as constructed or made-up by society. I think they see that society construct the meaning of our reality and create a 'language' to give it meaning within our culture/society. According to the text, "while modernism rejects formal an aesthetic theories in favor of the functional, postmodernism questions the adequacy of the functional as an inspiration of artistic expression" (412). From my understanding, I think modernists don't accept the idea of realism. I think that postmodernism don't look at something as it is constructed because it has no fixed meaning to it. For example, a meaning behind a text can be chose by the reader and can be applied to it. Like the meaning of the text is not determined by what it is linked or constructed to because social construction changes from culture to culture. It is applied and viewed differently. In the text, it states: "In general, it may be said that where modernists tend to think in terms of totality, genre, or system, postmodernists think in terms of fragmentation, ephemrality and discontinuity" (412). Modernism appear to obviously to believe in rational thought. They are also more science-based thinkers. They seem to reflect more on western values. They are objective and see life as purposeful. And they are unpolitical. Postmodernists beliefs and practice are personal from my understanding. They seek to decenter the subject and they make claims. They think irrationally, they don't believe in science-based thinking. They believe or value more of a multicultural value. They are subjective and see life as meaningless. They also seem to politicize everything."Instead, postmodernism favors more small-scale, local narratives that take into account that contingent, provisional, and unstable nature of the social world (413). I think that postmodernists see the social world as it changes from culture to culture and that meanings are applied and constructed differently especially since the new entrance or phase of capitalism. Perhaps our nature is not stable to think logically about our reality."Theorists in both camps generally agree that something has fundamentally changed in the patterns of social relations, economic flows, and moral regulation in modern societies" (411). I assume that psychologically and socially construction shapes our relation patterns and the way our world flows. Its like a behavioral pattern that is constructed within our society and that it shapes our perception and way of viewing things and the way we live our lives.