Digital Focus Final Reflection:

For this semester long project I was focused around the concept of texture, specifically wood texture. The piece has a sense of irony being that the image of the wood bark is printed onto a ceramic tile, which is by nature very smooth, the ceramic tile is then adhered to actual bark.

There are 5 images printed onto 5 different tiles, which are then broken and adhered to 3 wooden pieces. Each wooden piece is different in size. The largest being an actual trunk of a tree which is around 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall, the medium piece being 6 inches wide and 18 inches long, and the smallest being a branch roughly 18 inches long, and 10 inches wide.

I investigated the generalized theme of texture. I began by taking a series of pictures regarding different textures and then narrowed my concept to only pictures of bark or tree's. This in turn helped me to determine what surface I would ultimately show as my final piece.

There were several difficulties surrounding the theme of this project. From the beginning I knew that I wanted to do something with textures, but narrowing it down was a struggle. There were a few technical difficulties around how to break the tiles after the image had been glued to the tile, but solving this problem resulted in creating more texture in the final piece. If able to do this project again I would try to make more of them, and do various textures adhered to the actual texture themselves.

I would deem this project extremely successful and I am proud of the final piece. I enjoy the irony of smooth textures against more abstract textures. I also appreciate the pieces ability to either be placed indoors or outdoors.

I believe that each piece of wood could be displayed differently. Ideally the stump would be placed on the ground, and I can easily see it being placed together in a certain area as a triad. I do not think that these pieces need to be placed in something.

Given more time and resources I would expand these pieces even larger. I would try to find larger pieces of bark and continue printing on ceramic tiles.