Parents are Spying on You

Source: http://pewinternet.org/Media-Mentions/2012/More-parents-using-social-media-to-keep-tabs-on-kids-survey-shows

Facebook-Privacy_Vote-008a4.jpg

A Recent study from the Pew Internet and American Life Project shows that parents are opting to join the social media sites that they worry their kids are in danger of.

A19CEADC2EE841F999CD8E46DEF018F6.jpg

The problem with this survey is that is did not reference any questions or research about whether or not the parents that have joined social media simply just want to join it. Social media is becoming more and more popular in this day and age. Companies themselves even have facebook and Twitter pages. Thus although the research was set to prove that parents are worried about their children and thus the effect is that they join it as well, the research fails to take in account the simply fact of pleasure.

I think that it is worth mentioning in this study because it makes it seem that parents only join the social media because they are concerned for their children. If it was such a concern then why wouldn't parents just make their children get off of social media. As much as parents try to pull the "worried about you card," they have to admit that deep down they are actually interested in the websites as well.

My mom has a facebook account. She does write on my wall and pictures, and questions me about the people who I am photographed with. But when I see her posting Pinterst pins onto her facebook timeline, she can't tell me that she only uses her facebook to check up on me.