Spare the Social Media

• 22% of registered voters have let others know how they voted on a social networking site such as Facebook or Twitter

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/2414/social-media-networks-politics-voting-voters-discussing-vote-encouraging-voting

We all have that one friend... the one who during election time decides to suddenly become very political and very outspoken. During the last Presidential election, I had so many of these friends that they made me want to turn off social media all together until after the election was over.

This research was based off a survey done in Novemeber 2012 by the Princeton Survey Research Associates International (PSRAI). They obtained telephone interviews with a nationally representative sample of 1,011 adults living in the U.S. The interviews were conducted by both landline and cell phone. The survey was done in English, and was weighted in order to correct known demographic discrepancies. The margin of sampling error was+/- 3.6 percent.

This sampling method is very popular during election season. Many lobbyists make phone calls to people trying to see how they will end up voting.

The found statistic of 22% of registered voters talk about their political views on social media surprised me. Based on my own experience with the election, I would have thought that the statistic would have been higher.

Clearly nobody came and surveyed my social media friends..... :)