« Equipment Malfunction aused Monticello Nuclear Plant Shut Down | Main | Frozen Chicken Dinners Lead to Salmonella Poisoning »

Twin Cities Marathon Winners

Fernando Cabada ran the fastest time at the 2008 Twin Cities Marathon, winning the race's men's division, the Star Tribune reported.

Cabada, 26, finished in 2:16:32, just one minute and six seconds ahead of second place finisher, Matt Gabrielson, a Minnesota native.

"At 20 miles I just got real mad and said, 'You're tough, attack these hills, you've done all the work, you're running for a lot of people today,'" Cabada said.

Cabada said he got into running because of pressure to play basketball and baseball from his jail-bound father. It wasn't until a growth spurt in his junior year of high school that he won his first cross-country race.

Russian Olga Glok won the women's division, finishing in 2:32:38. This was her first career marathon win.

Another winner from Sunday's race was Kara Goucher who won the U.S. national women's 10-mile road race championship this morning, as reported by the Pioneer Press.

Gloucher, a former Duluth resident, ran the 10 miles in 53 minutes, 15 seconds, a course-record time.

"I thought I was going to run faster. Really, I think my legs are pretty dead. If I would have tapered down, I think I could have run two minutes faster," Gloucher said.