« Nickled and Dimed a Writer's Story | Main

Why I Want a Wife

Judy Brady uses the art of sarcasm through a list to drive home a point of how women were viewed by society during the 1950's and 1960's. I feel she uses the ideas expoused in her essay very well in regards to persuading the reader at the very end that women were merely thought of as child bearers and spouses who supported their husbands and the house. In some ways Brady actually gives a bit of appeal at least to the male gender that having a wife gives all these wonderful things. I find the list approach in this case works quite well as it appeals to the ethos or emotionally context of the reader. And in this case the appeal to ethos is important because when talking about a martial relationship emotional context is a big issue. According to Brady, a wife during this time is like having a super adminstrative assistant who does all of the tedious work and attends to her spouses every need.

In playing on every stereotype of what a wife should be, Blume is able to persuade her reader that being the wife is not all that it is cracked up to be and that they are in fact second class citizens. Although this list is probably an extreme view of how a typical wife is treated during this era, it is fairly accurate assement of how they are viewed in regards to gender role they play in a family unit. In this case the context and sheer size of her list gave it good ground for being a solid persuasive essay.