Happy hour this Friday?

I hear rummblings of a fellow happy hour. Molly suggested this Friday after seminar. How does that work for y'all?

Resourceful

I was thinking about how we are an interdisciplinary group and how this means we all keep our eyes on slightly different things. So I thought I'd share a few of my favorite resources...

Spirit of 1848 -- This "network of people concerned about social inequalities in health" has a very active listserv. Much of what is forwarded is articles. I certainly don't have time to read them all, but there's some really good stuff here.
The Minnesota Population Center -- The Pop Center is a "is a University-wide interdisciplinary cooperative for demographic research." They have Monday lunch (free food) seminars every week that are open to the public. The Pop Center also has many other resources that may come in handy at some point...
Epimonitor -- This publication is both online and in print. You have to pay for a subscription to see it all. It's a really fun magazine for epidemiology nerds like me!
Tobacco.org -- Who knew there was so much daily tobacco news (well, I did 'cause I subscribe to the tobacco.org listserv.)
Aetiology -- A blog from a professor of epidemiology in Iowa. Sometimes some good conversations get started here. Sometimes not.
Adventures in Science and Ethics -- Are you interested in science + ethics? I am, so I stop by here sometimes.

So tell me, what are some other resources that everyone else uses regularly... let's share!

I'm showing you how

This is just an example. Check out this cool article.

This and that

I know a lot of the fellows are interested in nutrition and obesity issues. I thought this article on visual cues and mindless eating was really interesting. My favorite part: the Self-Filling Bowl of Soup. Oh I could so see myself eating a quart of soup... especially if the Self-Filling Bowl of Soup were a bread bowl. Interesting stuff...

Also in the news and on my mind -- the human mind. B. Murry has been teaching about cognitive development over the past few weeks and honestly any article about Neanderthals catches my eye. (They're so interesting to me. Did they have language? Did they interact much with us homo sapiens? Where did they all go?) These researchers are suggesting that we may have Neanderthals to thank for our smarts. Hmmmm.

Give it a spin

Hello blog testers, and welcome to Fellow Time, the new blog for folks that have fellowships here in Peds. If you testers could explore this blog a bit, play around and let me know what you think that would be really helpful. Right now anyone can leave a comment. And I gave you testers permission to create entries. If this seems like something that could be useful, I'll give the rest of the fellows and the faculty persmission to post entries.

See you next week! (I'm out of town on Friday and won't be at our seminar.)

First time

This is just an experimental first entry. Did it work? What do you think?